Chapter 20: uruk-hai

Frodo stood at the summit of Amon Hen, the Seat of Seeing at his back. Upon reaching the summit of the hill he had been somewhat bemused to discover the strange, stone chair surrounded by ruined battlements. His knowledge of human history was extensive but the story of this little monument eluded her and she made a mental note to ask Rowan its purpose when he got back to camp. He would have to return soon; the rest would be worrying about him.

So focused was she on the vista before him, the glassy blue waters of Nen Hithoel, the nearby peaks of Amon Lhaw and Tol Brandir, that Rowan's hurried approach from behind made him jump. "Frodo, what are you doing here? I thought we agreed that you would not wander alone."

"I'm sorry; I did not mean to worry you. I just needed some time to myself. We have been sharing that tiny boat for too long, my friend!" He laughed, hoping her little jest would alleviate the tension between them. Rowan continued to look at him stonily. "You shouldn't be wandering these hills alone. I swore to protect you."

His smile faltered at his words; he was unused to being reprimanded. "You promised me your sword but I don't want your sword, Rowan. An orc's blade may still pierce my body no matter how hard you fight. What I want is your friendship. And right now, what I needed was some quiet. But you're right, I have tarried too long, I will come."

Rowan came forward, expression softening, and knelt at his feet. "You have my friendship as readily as you have my sword. And I will give you whatever support you need. I am with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor." Frodo smiled, "I know. Come, let us return."

Rowan's brow knit in sudden concern, and fear flashed briefly before her eyes before it was replaced by his usual stoic determination. "Go, Frodo!" she commanded, stepping back and unsheathing her sword in a graceful sweep. Frodo stood frozen, not comprehending her sudden change, until he saw the little elven dagger at his belt glowing an eerie blue. 

"Run – run!" Rowan commanded again and this time Frodo obeyed, sprinting with all the speed and agility of an hobbit into the tree line and down the hill towards the lakeside. For a moment she watched him retreating form before she turned to face the encroaching enemy. Slowly, they emerged from the undergrowth, black figures looming from the dark shadows of the forest. Suddenly, the air was pierced with a rallying cry, and the creatures surged towards the lone human.

Cresting the summit of Amon Hen, wave after wave of Uruk-hai advanced. Never before had Rowan encountered such creatures but she knew that they were no mere orcs. They were larger than orcs, and darker skinned, with slanting eyes, thick legs and large hands. They carried short, broad-bladed swords and their bows were fashioned not like orcs' but like those of the race of men, long and sturdy. Encumbered by little armour, they advanced towards Rowan at great speed, snarling and spitting as they heaved closer.

Rowan stood her ground.

The Uruk-hai broke around her like a tidal wave upon a great rock. She ducked and weaved through their broad-swords, striking out with quick, hard thrusts. With a grand sweep of her great-sword, half a dozen Uruk-hai went hurling to the ground. Without a moment's pause, she was upon them, hacking and plunging before any had a chance to recover their footing.

As the unrelenting wave of attackers surged forward, she found herself forced up the crumbling stairs of the ruined battlements. The sturdy walls of the ancient ruin funneled the Uruk-hai towards her, allowing her to slay them one-by-one in turn with steady, efficient blows.

From below him she heard a terrible voice bellow, "find the hobbit!", and Rowan watched in dismay as the swarm of Uruk-hai turned their attentions from her and started hurtling down the slopes of Amon Hen where Frodo had disappeared only moments before.

With a desperate cry she threw himself from the battlements onto a detachment of the foul beasts. Even prone on the floor, she drove her sword into the fallen Uruk-hai before scrabbling to her feet and running down the hill. She had just promised him that she would be there for him until the very end; she could not fail him now.