Chapter 16: lothlorien

A week had passed since the Fellowship passed through Moria. A week since Gandalf's death. The Fellowship were hungry, tired and upset. The Fellowship had been walking towards Lothlorien, where Gandalf had planned to stop of at. However, they had been taken by March warden and Captain, Haldir of Lorien.

With a nod in the direction of the new arrivals, Rowan asked. "who are the guys with the hair?" To which Legolas replied, "They are the elves of Lorien. Hopefully we can seek refuge at Lothlorien before continuing our journey south."

"Hopefully?"

"They do not take kindly to strangers," Legolas explained, looking at Rowan pointedly.

As Rowan and Legolas approached the elves, she could hear that Aragorn was not just talking with the elf who appeared to be leader but in fact arguing fiercely. Gimli stood quietly to the side, looking chastised but also hurt. "What seems to be the problem here?" Rowan asked as way of a greeting. The boss elf looked perturbed by her interruption; Rowan smiled at him broadly. "Aragorn of the Dunedain has asked that we provide shelter for your fellowship under the golden boughs of Lorinand. But I sense that you carry great evil with you. I cannot risk inviting this evil into Caras Galadhon. You shall go no further." The boss elf concluded.

Frodo shifted uncomfortably at his words, his left hand clutching at his tunic and the Ring underneath. It was odd watching the normally formidable elf fold in on himself and Rowan felt strangely sorry for him.  Legolas and Aragorn continued to argue with the elf in clipped elven tones. Rowan huffed at being excluded from the conversation but watched in curiosity as Frodo's expression shifted from one of shame to one of anger. Rowan saw this and then interrupted.

"You are right, Haldir, there is great evil here. Eryn Galen has fallen into shadow, Saruman has sided with Sauron, and the orcs of Dol Guldur terrorise the Anduin Valley! There is evil here that long predates our arrival. We left Rivendell some months ago on an important quest and we stand before you now, tired and injured. Either you help us, mellonamin, or you help Sauron. That is your choice; make it quick."

...

When at last they reached the House of Celeborn and Galadriel, Frodo suddenly became nervous, painfully aware of the burden he carried around his neck. "Don't worry..." She whispered as they followed Haldir to Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel. 

Her speech was cut short when the couple, bathed in light, descended to greet the small group of travellers. Impeccably dressed in silks and velvets of silver and white, Celeborn and Galadriel had an unearthly quality about them and an aloofness which surpassed even other elves. Rowan ineffectually smoothed down her hair and patted at her soiled leathers. She didn't know whether it was comforting or mortifying that the humans looked even more of a state than she.

"The enemy knows you have entered here," began Celeborn, "what hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Aragorn, it is good to see you, I have long desired to speak with you." Aragorn nodded in response, "it is good to see you too, I fear we have much to discuss."

"You're one down, where's Gandalf?" Galadriel questioned. Rowan didn't even have to speak as Galadriel had already read her mind. Galadriel watched the fellowship as Celeborn spoke, noting their hunched postures and stiff bearings. "Don't let the horrors you have witnessed overcome you hearts," she said with her gently melodic voice. "You are safe within the borders of Lothlorien. Let this place be a place of peace."

"Your quest stands upon the edge of a knife," Galadriel continued, a touch melodramatically, "stray just a little and you will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while your company remains true. Do not let your hearts be troubled, go now and rest. Tonight, you will sleep peacefully."