Chapter 19: monument

Ten days after leaving Lothlorien, Frodo was beginning to reevaluate his stance on boats. The Anduin had been smooth as glass at the Field of Celebrant and the boats had slipped soundlessly through the water. But as they neared the Emyn Muil, the river had become more and more turbulent. By the time they had reached the rapids of Sarn Gebir, Frodo was glad that he had lost her appetite over a week ago.

Luckily, Boromir was a skilled boatsman and he knew the river well. 

Frodo was sitting hunched in the boat, telling his heart to stop hammering in his chest, wishing her skin was not so clammy with sweat, when he felt a gentle tap from Boromir behind him. "Frodo, look, The Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old, my kin!" At his words, Frodo looked up and marveled at the monument before him. Two enormous rock pillars, carved in the likenesses of Isildur and Anarion, flanked the course of the river. Each of the figures held a giant axe in his right hand while his left rose in a gesture of defiance to the enemies of Gondor. Frodo knew from his reading that the great figures used to mark the northern boundary of the kingdom of Gondor, though they had now stood for a long time in deserted lands. 

Rowan had never been particularly impressed with human achievements. The city of Osgiliath, even before its fall, had been grand but not particularly elegant. And Minas Tirith was just a jumble of poor urban planning. But staring at the proud, dignified faces carved hundreds of feet in the air, Rowan had to concede that perhaps there was something worthy of note in the monuments of men.

Frodo turned to inform Boromir of his approval but when he looked upon him, and saw his quiet reverie, he chose to stay silent. It was rare to see his friend look so at peace; he was not going to be the one to interrupt it.

At last they passed The Argonath and entered the lake, Nen Hithoel. Making camp on the western banks, the remaining members of the Fellowship gathered to plan their route for the next leg of their journey. Legolas's elven ears told them that orcs patrolled the eastern shores; they would have to wait until nightfall to cross the lake unseen, then travel east through Emyn Muil before attempting to enter Mordor from the north.

As Gimli made minor repairs to their boats, Frodo and Boromir walked up the slopes of Amon Hen in search of firewood. Having finally escaped the confines of the boat, Frodo had wanted a short walk to stretch his legs and clear his mind. Preferably, alone. But it was decided that it was too dangerous for Frodo to wander alone and so he was stuck with the human. At first they had walked in companionable silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

Boromir had been staring at Frodo for some time, clearly desperate to ask him something but uncertain as to how to broach the subject, when he blurted, "have you ever, you know, put it on?" He gestured lamely at the Ring around Frodo's neck.

"No," was her simple response. "Why not?" Boromir questioned. "Because it wants me to. Every day, I can hear its whispers under my skin. It wants me to wear it and that is why I never will."

"It wants to be found."

"Exactly."

"You have borne such a heavy burden for so many months. I'm sorry that I have not truly understood your plight before now. No wonder you look so sullen and sallow." "Thanks," Frodo said sarcastically in response to Boromir's somewhat backhanded compliment. "I would be happy to share this burden," offered Boromir with a nonchalant shrug.

Frodo stopped in his tracks, looking with mild alarm at Boromir. He raised his hand to defensively clasp at the ring where it hung beneath his tunic. Boromir, noticing belatedly that Frodo was no longer walking in step, turned and, observing the look of fear on the hobbits's face, raised his hands in a gesture of conciliation.  "I promise you, it was an offer harmlessly made. I do not want the Ring; I am merely proposing to carry it for a short time while you regain your strength." "You know they warned me against you," said Frodo at last, "Galadriel in Lothlorien, even Gandalf, your friend, warned me that you would be tempted by the Ring of Power. They think you are weak because you are of the race of men."

"And what do you think?" Boromir shouted growing angry at the hobbit.

"I think they were right.. this is why you came here with me alone.. you were going to steal it from me.." Frodo exclaimed as he proceeded to step back. Boromir walked closer. "You know what, you little Hobbit. I only came out here to protect you, you don't know how to fight you could've died! Then the whole plan would've failed."

Boromir's words become more and more aggressive, saying that the Ring should not be destroyed, but used against Sauron, and he asks Frodo to lend him the Ring. When Frodo refuses, he becomes angry and tries to take it by force, causing Frodo to put on the Ring, disappear and run away. 

"GET AWAY!" shouted Frodo and the little hobbit began to run away from the human. "I don't want the ring!" Boromir kept repeating as he chased after Frodo. "Well not anymore." He muttered to himself. Frodo was going mad. He was scared. So he did what he knew he shouldn't have done. The ring saw him.

After a minute Boromir realizes what he has done and weeps, begging Frodo to come back, but Frodo is already far away.