Chapter 56: faramir

On a morning in early spring, when the snow still lies in the shadowed corners of the city of Gondor but the wind is fresh from the South, Faramir rode from Ithilien to seek an audience with his King. They speak for some time on matters concerning the kingdom – the cleansing of Ithilien proceeds apace; embassies have come from Harad and from Khand, suing for peace and trading rights. Aragorn is well-pleased with his Steward, though he wondered why Faramir has ridden so far when he might have written instead. And then Faramir said, "Sire, if you permit, I would speak with you in private."

The King frowned, dreading what Faramir will say, but he acquiesced.

He nodded at the courtiers and servants, and when they have all gone, Aragorn rose and poured Faramir a goblet of wine that glowed like blood in the sunlight. "Speak," he commanded. "My lady is with child," Faramir begins. Aragorn has no need to feign joy at this news. Eowyn and Faramir will have beautiful children and their happiness is dear to him. "She is with child," Faramir continued. "And I had thought ... If it is a boy, then I wish to name him for my brother. But before I burden the child, I must know. How did Boromir die? Will my son be shamed by the name he carries?"

Faramir's words sat in Aragorn's chest like stones. He cannot be silent any longer – if Faramir judges him harshly, then that is his due. Boromir's brother must know the truth. Aragorn paused- "I was not there.. b-but my sister was fighting with him till the very end. Rowan has told me everything as she frequently had nightmares of it as they were insanely close during the beginning." He started. "Boromir..." His voice broke on the familiar sound. "No," he said. "No man need be ashamed to bear that name."

"Sire, Samwise the Halfling told me that my brother was forsworn, an oath breaker. That he went mad and tried to take the Ring. And Frodo would never speak of Boromir at all. The others, Meriadoc and Peregrin – they told me he died for their sakes. I do not know which tale is the true one."

"Neither," Aragorn says almost immediately. "And both." He remembered the morning on Caradhras, Boromir gazing at the Ring, his eyes clouded with desire. "Your brother was a noble man, Faramir, but the Ring twisted all that was good in him and bound him in chains of wanting and despair until he lost all hope of winning free. And then, somehow, in the end, he came back to himself. He died defending the weak." Aragorn paused.

But he will spare himself nothing else, and perhaps his heart will find ease in the telling. He recounted the stages of their journey, and he does not falter when he comes to the last hopeless battle on Amon Hen, from what Rowan told him. "Your brother told me once," he said, finally, "that if there was weakness and frailty among Men, there was courage also, and honour. In his death he showed me the truth of his words. That is why I have worn his vambraces since my sister gave it to me – to remind me." He stopped, fearing what he will see in the other's face, but there is no accusation and no anger. Instead, Faramir's eyes are filled with unshed tears, and he bowed to Aragorn, pressing his hand to his heart. "Sire," he says, "I thought I was alone in mourning my brother. I do not know how to thank you for this gift."

Aragorn smiled now. "Tell your children about Boromir the Fair," he said. "Tell them that he was a brave warrior, and a good man, and well-beloved of his brother and his King."