Chapter 26: shadowfax

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed." Gandalf declared as they continued to walk through the forest. "Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli whined. "We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Rowan explained. "Yes, and it will not be easily cured." The wizard sighed.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested..." Gimli muttered causing the trees rumble. "I mean charming, quite charming forest." Rowan laughed at his quick response. "It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend." Rowan smiled as she walked upfront with Gandalf. "Hmm?" was his response. "You still speak in riddles." Rowan stated as she and Gandalf laughed. "A thing is about to happen here that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." Gimli grunted, "Strong? Oh, that's good."

"So stop your fretting Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be." Gandalf said as he lost his cool. "This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." He whispered to Rowan.

Outside the forest, Gandalf whistles piercingly an answering neigh is heard and a white horse appears from the plain. It's a beautiful plain white horse, similar to Rowan's back in Rivendell. "That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas whispered just behind Rowan whose eyes are still focused on the horse. The horse stops in front of Gandalf.  "Shadowfax." exclaims Gandalf. "He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers." Rowan smiled hearing this as they ride across the plains.

Rowan riding in front of Legolas with his hands snaked around her waist. Gimli was riding alone and Gandalf was riding on Shadowfax. Rowan couldn't sit still as she worried about her brother. As an elf, Legolas could sense this. "Don't worry, I'm sure he's okay. He's a strong warrior." He whispered into her ears and Rowan could feel his smile against her neck.

...

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-Dûr his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him: the heir of Númenor still lives. Sauron fears you and your brother, Rowan. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men." 

"He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself and therein lies our first challenge, for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The King's mind is enslaved. It's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose." Gandalf explains. "But for all their cunning, we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden, and that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed and the secrecy of his quest."

Rowan sighed as she looked up into the night sky. "Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone." Gandalf told her. "He is not alone. Sam went with him." She replied not taking her eyes of the stars. "Did he? Did he indeed? Good. Yes, very good." Gandalf smiled. "And my brother.. is he safe?" Rowan asked eyes full of hope. Gandalf looked down at the young ranger. "Alive yes.. he'll meet us in Edoras." 

Rowan smiled as she and Gandlf walked back to their tents, where Gimli and Legolas were arguing over something, as per usual. Rowan didn't sleep that much again- but she hadn't since her brother left. She was extremely worried which was acceptable. She hadn't been properly apart from him in a very long time however she knew that he was still alive at that moment.