Chapter 3: wraiths

Luthien threw back her head and neighed as she sprang forward. This was unusual as she was normally calm. Through the dark forest they ran, trees sliding by.. moonlight flickering through the branches.

At top speed Rowan reached Ettenmoors by morning and emerged from the tree line. As she galloped across the open land the sun rose and suddenly two ring wraith's emerge from behind her. Two more move in from opposite directions to join their friends in the chase. Rowan felt sweat cascade down her cheeks as she commanded Luthien to ride faster. Rowan ran out of the pine trees, the four ring wraiths closed in behind her, two more galloping down the hillside towards her. Fuck. The last three came down from different directions.. now all nine were on her tail. 

Rowan could hear Luthien panting. "Noro lim, Luthien." (Ride fast, Luthien) Rowan whispered into the crook of her horses neck.

After a day and a half of running it seemed she would never reach the river Bruinen. But she finally made it and without hesitation Rowan charged into the water and raced to the other shore. As she reached the other side, the nine ring wraiths stopped at the edge of the water.

"Give up the half-ling!" One of the ring wraiths demanded. Rowan drew out her sword and shouted back, "If you want him, come and claim him." The ring wraiths screeched at her and drew their swords. Rowan kept a straight face as the ring wraiths foolishly started to travel into the water. "Wait for it.." Rowan murmured to herself as she tightly held onto Frodo.

When they were half way across, Rowan began to shout, "Non o chitheaglir, lasto beth daer: rimmo, nin Bruinen dan in ulaer! Nin o chitheaglir, lasto beth daer: rimmo, nin Bruinen dan in ulaer!" (Rise, river Bruinen and protect us!)

Suddenly a wall of water began to flood down the river towards Rowan as if the dam had burst. Faintly, she couls see the water taking the shape of running horses. The ring wraiths screamed as if they had been swallowed up by the river.

Rowan then turned to look over at Frodo, but when she does she immediately runs over.

"NO Frodo!" Rowan screamed as she gently layed him on the damp rocks on the shore. "No no.. Frodo, no. Frodo don't give in.. not now." Tears began to stream down her face as she placed her hand to his face. "... we're so close."