Chapter 28: edoras

The next day came around sooner than Rowan had hoped for- the bright light shone through the thin tent material as she wiped her eyes and walked out to the sound of Gimli and Legolas still arguing and Gandalf with his head in his hands. "Finally, somebody sane." Gandalf muttered to which Rowan laughed. The four of them climbed onto their horses and rode to Edoras, Rohan which was just a days ride away. If time went well, they would arrive just before it got dark.

Luckily time was on their side and they arrived in Edoras at around five o'clock in the evening. Rowan spotted a beautiful young lady with long blonde curly hair and a long white flowing dress standing outside of the castle. She was probably the Kings daughter- but she didn't remember Gandalf saying King Theoden had a daughter only a son. "Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong." Gandalf declares as Rowan notices that the blonde girl ran inside the hall probably to tell her King that they had visitors. A flag rips off the pole and floats down, landing near Rowan.

The four members of the Fellowship made their way to the gates of the hall, Gandalf striding towards it confidently as if he owned the place. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." Gandalf mutters as they receive sidelong looks from the villagers. The closer they got on their horses they receive more suspicious looks. Rowan and Gimli couldn't help but glare back. "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli stated to which Legolas agreed. Guards approach the company as they climb the stairs to the hall. "Ah." Gandalf sighed.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of... Gríma Wormtongue." A gaurd known as Háma declared to which Gandalf nodded. With the nod from Gandalf, Rowan, Legolas and Gimli give their many weapons to the guards. A guard coughs and Rowan takes her daggers out from both of her socks. He gives her a look and she takes another dagger from under her pony tail. "That's it.." She muttered giving the guard another glare. Gimli chuckled. "Your staff." Háma told Gandalf. "Eh? Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?" Gandalf sighed looking deep into Háma's eyes. Háma thinks a moment, gives Gandalf a knowing look, then allows him to pass. Gandalf winks at Rowan and then takes Legolas' hand as they enter the hall. Then Rowan saw him again. He instantly caught her eye. "That is King Théoden's nephew. Eomer," Gandalf told Rowan in a hushed whisper. Rowan nodded, her eyes not leaving Eomer's form. "He his very handsome," she muttered, hoping Gandalf wouldn't hear her but of course he did. "You know, fortune favours the bold, Rowan" Rowan let out a snort and shook her head. "Not this time. If you haven't noticed, I am not the typical lady." 

As they got closer to the King, Rowan heard the blonde haired girl whisper to the King, "My lord, you son, he is dead. My lord? Uncle? Will you not go to him? Will you do nothing." Èowyn whispered into her Uncle's ear as she cried. Gríma walked over and before he could say anything Èowyn walked over to the side of the room as she heard the door open. "My lord. Gandalf the Grey is coming. He is a herald of woe." Gríma whispered demonically into the King's ear. "The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King." Gandalf pointed out as the four of them entered the hall, stepping closer to the King.

"He is not welcome." Gríma sneered to the King. "Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" Gríma stood up, "A just question my liege." King Théoden slightly nodded. "Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lath spell I name him. Ill news is in ill guest-" However Gríma was interrupted by Gandalf, "Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind you teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!" Rowan snorted and Gríma gave her a foul look. Gandalf raised his staff. "His staff! I told you to take the wizard's staff!" Gríma stuttered as he walked backwards and away from Gandalf. Rowan, Legolas and Gimli fought the guards, allowing Gandalf to walk to Théoden. One of the king's guards moves to draw his sword, however is stopped by Háma. "Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows." Gandalf shouted as he put his hand up in the air. Meanwhile Gimli knocked down Gríma and put a foot on his chest. "I would stay still if I were you." Gimli shouted in the face of Gríma who was now shivering in fright.

"Harken to me! I release you from the spell." Théoden laughed. "You have no power here Gandalf the Grey." Rowan looked towards Legolas as she saw Gandalf throw aside his grey robe, revealing his white clothes leaving Théoden startled as he leaned back in his throne. "I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound." Gandalf points his staff at Théoden, who squirms in his throne. "Argh!" The King squeels as Èowyn rushed in and tried to go to her uncle, but is stopped by Rowan, who gave her a reassuring smile as if to say it was going to be okay. "Wait." Rowan whispered.

"If I go — Théoden dies." Théoden laughed in Saruman's voice. Gandalf again points at Théoden with his staff, and the King flies against his throne. "You did not kill me. You will not kill him." Gandalf continued to shout. "Rohan is mine!" Théoden yelled yet again in Saruman's voice. "Be gone!" Gandalf shouted as he raised his staff to the Kings face one last time. Théoden jumps up at Gandalf, yelling, but flies back. Saruman flys backwards in his chamber at Orthanc. Rowan stares shocked at what she had just witnessed. Èowyn runs free from Rowan's grip and rushes to her uncle, whose face quickly begins to change, and soon he looks normal again. "I know your face. Èowyn — Èowyn." Théoden whispered as he stroked his nieces cheek, gently tucking a single strand of long blonde hair to behind her ear.

There reunion moment is interrupted by a loud cough by Gandalf himself. "Gandalf?" Théoden spluttered as he smiled at the Wizard. "Breathe the free air again, my friend." The King slowly walked closer to his friend, "Dark have been my dreams of late."

"Your fingers would remember their old strength better — if they grasped your sword." Háma brings the King his sword and Théoden draws it, he examines it, then turns his gaze towards a cowering Gríma who is still being held onto the floor by Gimli. Gríma is suddenly thrown out of the hall, and rolls down the stairs as the rest follow him eager to see what will happen. "Argh! I've only ever served you my lord." Gríma whimpered as he held onto his arms which were no aching due to the fall. "Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" Théoden spat as he edged his way closer. "Send me not from your side!" Gríma pleaded and Rowan felt a slight twinge of sadness for this loathsome creature.

Théoden raises his sword to kill Gríma, but is stopped by Aragorn who runs from behind him. "No my lord! No my lord. Let him go." He paused, "Enough blood has been spilt on his account." Aragorn held out his hand to Gríma who spat on it and ran off through the crowd. "How disrespectful!" Rowan shouted and was about to through hands when her brother pulled her away. "Leave it, it's not worth it." Aragorn said as he put his arms around her. "Hail, Théoden, King!" He shouts to the villagers who were watching and the crowd proceeds to kneel before the King. King Théoden stands still though looking for someone.

"Where is Théodred? Where is my son?"