Chapter 17: second meeting

After a few weeks of recuperating in Lothlorien, the fellowship gathered in Celeborn's study to plan the next leg of their journey. Fully healed and well rested (and adequately bathed, Rowan noted with pleasure), they gathered around a large circular table with the lord and lady of the forest, and a few select elvish watchguards, including Haldir of Lorien.

Rowan favoured following the Anduin Valley to the Eastfold and then travelling the Great West Road to Minas Tirith. The route was over easy ground, which meant that their progress would be swift, and the Great West Road was patrolled by soldiers of Gondor, which meant that aide would be close at hand should they come under attack. Legolas and Aragorn were reluctant to go so close to the capital of Gondor, instead preferring to approach Mordor from the Dead Marshes. 

"Every league you travel south, the danger will increase," said Celeborn. "Mordor orcs now hold the eastern shore of the Anduin. Nor will you find safety on the western banks. Strange creatures bearing the white mark of Saruman have been seen on our borders. Seldom do orcs journey in the open under the sun, yet these creatures have done so. By following the river you have the chance of outrunning the enemy to the Falls of Rauros."

"You are being tracked," continued Haldir, "and not only by orcs. Since your arrival our patrols have spied a strange creature. Always evading capture, he skulks in the shadows under the roots of the mallorn trees."

"It is Gollum," said Frodo matter-of-factly, "he's been following us since Caradhras. Gandalf told me."

"He escaped Barad Dur?" asked Rowan. Elrond had told her stories about him as a child. He had explained the part Gollum had played in the Ring's history before the fellowship had left Rivendell. How he had once been a hobbit. How the Ring had twisted him into something cruel and starving. How he had been captured by the allies of Sauron and tortured until he'd given them the location of the Ring. The thought of this pitiable creature made Rowan's skin crawl.

"Escaped, or was set loose," answered Aragorn. "Now the Ring has drawn him here. He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the Ring, as he hates and loves himself."

"If he is seen again within our borders, we will kill him," said Haldir.

"Kill him? It is not to us to pass judgement on his life. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or evil, before this is over." Rowan spoke softly unsure why she was caring for a creature like this. The assembled group fell silent, whether contemplating the fate of poor Gollum, the orcs threatening the borders of Lorien, or the perilous journey awaiting the fellowship.

"So we're agreed," said Rowan, interrupting the gloom that had taken hold of the study; "we follow the Anduin to Emyn Muil. Then east across Nindalf. Aragorn knows the marshes well so hopefully we will not lose our way." Rowan could tell from the way Aragorn was frowning that he disapproved of their route. Well tough. While it was common for Rowan and Aragorn to disagree, this time Legolas was on Aragorn's side. "We will gather tomorrow morning at the docks. We leave at first daylight."

"Wait," said Aragorn as they were all preparing to leave. "You guys will follow this path. I'm afraid I must take another." Rowan felt her stomach drop. So this was what Galadriel had meant when she said that the fellowship was about to break apart. This was why Aragorn and Celeborn had been having private meetings. 

"For many nights have Celeborn and I discussed the threat of Saruman. These creatures spied on the borders of Lothlorien, bearing the white hand, are no mere orc but something fiercer, the Uruk-hai. The fellowship cannot hope to succeed with Mordor attacking from the east and Isengard from the west. I must head to Fangorn Forest in the hope that I may still find some allies there. Then I can turn my attentions to Isengard and seek to crush Saruman's foul influence. If I can alleviate your burden even a little, then I have succeeded."

It was obvious that the fellowship felt uneasy at the departure of one of their number. They were already so few that the loss of one would be keenly felt. But Aragorn's words made sense and none made to argue with him.

The fellowship returned to their clearing and gathered around the campfire, telling stories and laughing like old friends. Rowan regaled them all with tales of dragon hunting and her life as a Ranger of the North, complete with extravagant gesticulations.