Chapter 23: on the move

"They took the hobbits," Rowan said with a startled hiss as the stabbed punctured skin. "Don't move," Legolas admonished, not looking at her face but concentrating on the puckered flesh beneath his hands. She watched him as he stitched up the wound, his hands shaking from either exhaustion or the adrenaline of battle still surging through his veins. The stitching was ragged and rutted; it would leave a jagged scar. Awesome. When he was nearly done Rowan continued, "forgive me. I tried to protect them but I couldn't. I have failed us all." At that, he looked up. "You fought bravely. You have kept your honour. You have not failed us."

"Honour be damned! It has all been in vain – the fellowship has failed. The world of men will fall and all will come to darkness, and my city to ruin." Legolas placed a hand on Rowan's cheek, smearing orc viscera over blood and mud. "This isn't over." He said softly and Gimli grunted. "We have time.. we just have to hope that your brother is doing something helpful." She smiled, or at least a close approximation given the pain and exhaustion. Legolas returned her tired smile and patted her cheek in a rare gesture of affection. "Come," he commanded, "we cannot stay." With great effort, and not an insignificant amount of swearing from Rowan, Legolas helped her to her feet and they both started gingerly picking their way through the undergrowth towards the camp. Gimli followed shortly.

Legolas took both of her hands in his, gave them a firm shake. "You honour me, daughter of Gondor." With renewed vigour he took off down the hill at speed, heading towards the water.

...

Frodo stands upon the pale grey shore, staring into the distance, with the Ring lying on his palm. He sniffled and whimpered, as he got into a boat and paddled out into the water. Fellowship member, Samwise most commonly known as Sam suddenly crushed out of the forest and threw himself into the river. "Frodo! Mr. Frodo! Oh, I knew you'd leave me if I went all the way with you, Gandalf told me 'Don't you lose him Samwise Gamgee'." Frodo turned back to face the boat as he picked up the boats oars. "It's too dangerous, Sam. I need to go by myself. I'm going to Mordor alone!"

"No! I'm coming with you!" Sam demanded as he strode proudly into the water, knowing he couldn't swim. Frodo immediately turned to face his friend, knowing he couldn't swim. He didn't want what happened to his parents. "You can't swim! Sam!" Frodo shouted as Sam struggled to swim then sunk into the water. Frodo's hand reaches down and grabs Sam's wrist. Sam tightens his hand around Frodo's. "I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened." Frodo whispered after he pulled Sam onto the boat. "I can't make it go away, but I can help you." Sam smiled.

"I made a promise, Mister Frodo. A promise! 'Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to! I don't mean to." 

"Oh, Sam!" Frodo cries as they hug. "Come on."

...

Boromir is gently laid to rest in one of the boats. His sword rests with him, his shield is above his head and his split horn at his side. The boat slips over the falls of Rauros quickly and  Gimli watches the boat disappear. Rowan  puts on Boromir's vambraces. She never wanted to forget her friend.

"Hurry! Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore." Legolas shouted as he pulled a boat into the water. Rowan stands still and says nothing. "You mean not to follow them?" Legolas whispered to Rowan.  "Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands."

"Then it has all been in vain! The Fellowship has failed." Gimli muttered throwing his arms in the air. "Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left." Rowan said as she put her hands on Gimli and Legolas' shoulders. "Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let us hunt some Orc!" Rowan smiled making Gimli cheer. "Yes! Haha!" As he and Legolas followed Rowan into the wood.

They follow the orcs that took Merry and Pippin. "Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent. Hurry!" Rowan rushes as she has her ear pressed to the ground. Rowan runs off, followed by Legolas and Gimli. "Come on, Gimli!" Legolas shouts to the Dwarf. "Three day's and night's pursuit... no food, no rest, and no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell." Gimli mutters to himself after he rolled down a hill.

The thee of them continue to run across plains. Having no time to look around at the beautiful scenery. The hobbits kept playing in Rowan's mind, they had to save them. The three of them enter the valley in which the Uruk-hai stopped. Eagerly Rowan bends down to pick up Pippin's brooch. "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." Rowan whispers to herself. Legolas hears and looks over at Rowan who is loosing hope, "They may yet be alive."

Rowan ignores Legolas' comment as she says,  "Less than a day ahead of us, come!" before running of in the direction of the stench of orcs. Gimli  stumbles and rolls to the ground again. "Come Gimli! We are gaining on them." Legolas shouted excitedly.  "I'm wasted on cross-country. We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances." Gimli continued to mutter to himself. Rowan chuckled not far ahead.

The three of them then come over a hill and pause, gazing across the plains. There are no trees in sight, just land and some grass. "Rohan. Home of the horse-lords." Rowan sighs as Gimli makes his way over to her and Legolas, puffing. 

"There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures, sets its will against us." Rowan whispers to Legolas as Legolas scans the landscape before him. "What do your elf eyes see?" Legolas pauses as he jumped onto the nearest rock. "The Uruks turn Northeast. They are taking the hobbits to Isengard!" He shouted back. "Saruman." Rowan gasped before they were off again.

"No. More. Running!" Gimli breathed out slowly. "Why can't we have a longer break and some food?" He moaned to himself before catching up with the other two.