Chapter 9: no sleep

All in all, everything had gone fine. It was the first time the fellowship had actually gotten together, so there were bound to be some bumps in the road. Gimli and Legolas hadn't spoken a word to each other. Neither had Gimli and Aragorn.

Boromir hadn't even looked in Aragorn's direction, though he had spoken to Legolas for a little bit. Rowan suspected that he had gotten drunk on purpose in order to avoid talking to Aragorn. Rowan doubted that he meant to go as far as to knock himself out, but hopefully tomorrow morning will teach him the lesson that avoiding her problems was not the way to go. The hobbits seemed content with the group and had gotten over their fears. Frodo certainly didn't seem to be as scared of Boromir anymore. After all, if he couldn't even defeat Merry and Pippin in drinking...

Everyone had eventually left to go to their rooms. Rowan lay down on her bed, glad to finally have a soft mattress and clothes that fit her. There was still a few more days before the fellowship had to set off again, so she had to make every second count. But for some reason she couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned on the mattress as she thought about what she had signed up for.

Grunting in frustration, Rowan decided to see if she could get a glass of water. She crept out of her room and tiptoed around Rivendell. It was both quiet and full of noise at the same time. The waterfalls were loud and night birds called to each other. A nice breeze ruffled leaves and the trees whispered to the valley. However, there were no sounds of footsteps. No voices. The only light was the moon. It felt like she was the only one awake, though she was sure that it couldn't be true. Spotting a familiar archway, Rowan turned and continued down the passageway. The elves that had served her dinner had come from this direction, so it was only logical that some sort of kitchen was nearby.

Rowan approached a small alcove, and heard soft murmurs. Giving into her curiosity, she stood behind a pillar and looked down at Aragorn and Arwen holding each other gingerly. She felt dirty watching them and she turned around, intending to leave them alone.

"Rowan"

Rowan spun on her heels, "I swear I didn't hear anything. I was just looking for water..."

Arwen laughed and Rowan blushed. She was really pretty when she laughed. Aragorn seemed to think the same because he looked at her like she was starlight personified. Which she probably was. "Water? I can help you," offered her brother, already making his way up towards his sister. Rowan waved her hands in a 'no' gesture, "Uhh, it's okay. You can continue on your date night."

Her brother didn't stop moving and Arwen accompanied him. She wished Rowan goodnight and kissed her on the forehead and Rowan melted into a puddle of goo. She gave Aragorn a much more intimate version of the kiss and the two of them watched her walk away in silence. "Bro, you are so lucky," Rowan murmured. Aragorn smiled brightly, "Yes, I am."

He began walking Rowan down the hall confidently knowing his way around. "Trouble sleeping?" he asked. "Something like that..." Her brother hummed and didn't judge her. Instead, he began speaking in low tones about the artworks on the walls and sculptures every pillar or so. It was soothing. "You sure know your stuff. What a nerd," Rowan teased.

Aragorn chuckled, "Actually, as a child you know I hated history lessons. In fact," Aragorn brushed aside a wall of leaves to reveal a hole in the wall, "I used to hide from my teachers here." Rowan gasped, "You? Hiding!" Aragorn winked and Rowan laughed at him. He gestured for her to keep the volume down and she stifled her giggles. A thought struck her, and before Rowan could stop herself she spoke. "Brother, why is it such a big deal for Arwen to marry you and stay here instead of sailing off?" Her brother in question looked forlorn and touched his chest where Arwen's necklace lay. He considered her question silently, trying to find the right words to explain things to her.

"Do you know what will happen when you die?" he questioned his sister. Rowan shook her head. Aragorn agreed, "Neither do I. The fate of man is unknown. But the fate of the elves is not." Aragorn stopped walking and looked up at the night sky, which sparkled with millions of stars. Moonlight illuminated a fountain that reflected the light of the stars back up. He continued looking at the heavens when he explained things to Rowan. "Arwen will not go to the Grey Havens with her people if she chooses to stay with me. She will live a mortal life and her fate will be unknown. But if she goes with her people to Valinor, her soul will remain with her family until the end of time," Aragorn frowned at himself, "How can I ask her to sacrifice her life and her people, for me?"

Well, that explained why Lord Elrond was so distraught over Arwen's choice. She would never get to see him or her brothers again. Rowan tried to imagine herself in that situation, but she wasn't an immortal being so it was a bit difficult. Her brother was lost in thought and Rowan cleared her throat loudly, "If it means anything, then that's what makes mortality so interesting."

Aragorn turned to his sister and Rowan barreled on, "Everyone human knows that they're going to die sooner or later. So it's important to live your life to the fullest. Our inevitable death is what motivates us to live." Rowan watched him process her words and she was gratified that he was taking her seriously for once.

He gave his sister a soft smile, "Thank you Rowan," he continued walking, "Now about that water..." The rest of the journey went by smoothly and Rowan was escorted back to her room with a glass of water. Stopping outside her door Rowan thanked him, to which he shook his head. Instead he thanked her and wished her goodnight. "Go to sleep. I believe Gandalf has many lessons in plan for the days to come."

Rowan rolled her eyes and wished him goodnight, sitting on her bed Rowan drank some water and sighed at its coolness. Sighing, she got under the covers and yawned.