Chapter 40: pippin

They all waited anxiously in the Hall for them to come out, pacing around in complete silence. Every minute seemed like an hour. Rowan's stomach was churning. 

Pippin wore an apologetic look on his face. ''There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool... but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring,'' said Gandalf. ''What about Minas Tirith?'' Aerin blurted out impatiently. ''We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith,'' he said, and her heart sank to her heals.

"His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing: he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed; there is courage still, strength enough perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-Earth uniting under one banner." Gandalf added. "He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King return to the throne of men. If the Beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war." There was silence before Théoden sighed,  "Tell me... why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

Rowan scoffed and her brother stepped in. "I will go." Gandalf quickly turned to him and looked at him in shock. "No!" He shouted inches away from the ranger's face. "They must be warned!" Aragorn shouted back walking away from the wizard. "They will be. You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river and look to the black ships." Gandalf finished making his way towards the door before he stopped and turned back around.  "Understand this: things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith." Gandalf looked at the hobbits. "And I won't be going alone."

Outside, Gandalf, followed by the two hobbits, swiftly makes his way to the stables of Edoras. "Of all the inquisitive hobbits, Peregrin Took, you are the worst! Hurry! Hurry!" Gandalf sighed as he moved closer to the stables. "Where are we going?" Pippin questioned as he tried to keep us with Merry. "Why did you look? Why do you always have to look!" Merry, who was exasperated, shouted turning back to face his fellow hobbit.  "I don't know. I can't help it!"

"You never can." Merry seethed as Rowan watched their conversation from a distance. She felt bad for the little hobbit who didn't know any better and was unaware of his consequences. "I'm sorry, all right! I won't do it again." Pippin sighed as Merry shot back, "Don't you understand? The enemy thinks you have the Ring! He's going to be looking for you, Pip. They have to get you out of here." Pippin stood their for a second, confused at the world. "And y-you're coming with me?" He got his answer when Merry walked away. Rowan felt a presence behind where she was standing and moved away, knowing it was Legolas.

He was scared. Terrified even. Pippin always thought of himself as a brave hobbit but now he was questioning that and Rowan sensed that as she walked over. The hobbit had tensed everything and when he looked up to see Rowan put her arm around his shoulder she saw his pale green eyes brimming with tears. "Don't worry my brave little hobbit. Each of us must confront our own fears and must come face to face with them. Do not fear mistakes- you see.. if you didn't touch the Palantír, we wouldn't have an insight into the enemies plan.." Pippin pulled Rowan into a hug, his arms barely fit across both of her legs. "Now go my little friend,  your carriage awaits." Rowan joked as they walked towards Gandalf and the horse. Rowan felt a small tug on her trousers and she bent down to hear what Pippin wanted to say, "You'll be right behind me, right..?" The hobbit whispered into the ranger's ear. "Always.." Rowan whispered back and Pippin smiled. 

Inside the stables, Gandalf lifted Pippin up on Shadowfax's back. Pippin took one hopeful look at Rowan, who smiled, before he asked, "How far is Minas Tirith?". Hastily, Gandalf replied as he looked ahead as Rowan went to clear the path, so they could ride out. "Three day's ride, as the Nazgûl flies. And we better hope we don't have one of those on our tail." Merry handed Pippin a pouch, "Here. Something for the road." He forced a smile still partially annoyed. "Last of the Longbottom Leaf?" Pippin whispered looking at the pouch in his hand. "I know you've run out. You smoke too much, Pip." Rowan chuckled slightly. "But we'll see each other soon, won't we?" Merry wished Pippin hadn't asked this as he didn't know how to reply.  Merry glanced at Gandalf.  "I don't know. I don't know what's going to happen." He then started to cry and Rowan walked over, carefully trying to not trip on anything, and she pulled her arm across Merry's shoulder and pulled him into a tight hug. Pippin too started to cry, "Merry!"

"Run, Shadowfax. Show us the meaning of haste." Gandalf ordered and Merry broke free from Rowan's embrace. He ran. He ran after them. He climbed up to a watchtower, with Aragorn as he followed the little hobbit. "Merry!" He shouted as he climbed the final step of the watchtower and stopped as he saw the hobbit standing still looking out across the plains at the white dot of Shadowfax as he ran further into the distance. It was a sad sight.

"He's always followed me. Everywhere I went, since before we were were tweens. I would get him into the worst sort of trouble. But I was always there to get him out. And now he's gone." Merry whispered as Aragorn put his hand on his shoulder. "One thing I've learned about hobbits: they are most hardy folk." Aragorn joked. "Foolhardy maybe. He's a Took." Merry added and the both of them laughed before they turned back to meet with the remaining members.