Chapter 48: fight

Denethor poured oil over himself and a rousing Faramir. "Set a fire in our flesh!" Soldiers, with lit torches, approached Denethor. However,  Gandalf bursted through the mausoleum door.  "Stay this madness!" He shouted making the guards stop, but Denethor grabbed a torch. "You may triumph in the field of battle for a day, but against the power that has risen in the east, there is no victory." Denethor tossed the torch on the pyre. As the fire lights, Gandalf takes up a spear and charged Denethor, knocking him off the pyre. Pippin leaped from Shadowfax onto the pyre and rolled Faramir down off it saving his life. A burning Denethor rose and attacked Pippin.  "No! You will not take my son from me!" Denethor yelled. 

Shadowfax knocked Denethor onto the burning pyre once again. It was at this time that Faramir opened his eyes and looked at his father. "Faramir... my son. Ah!" Engulfed in flames, Denethor ran out of the mausoleum. "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion." Denethor fell from the edge of Minas Tirith.

On Pelennor Fields, the Rohirrim are routing the orcs. "Drive them back to the river!" Éomer ordered as he sliced the head of a nearby Orc skewing its head on the tip of his sword. "Make safe this city!" Théoden shouted. As the Rohirrim drive away the Orcs, giant war Oliphaunts (Mûmakil) come into view. Haradrim, mounted on the Mûmakil, blows his horn. The Mûmakil ran past the retreating Orcs. Luckily, the King of Rohan does not hesitate.  "Reform the line! Reform the line! Sound the charge!" King Théoden commanded and Gamling blew his horn. "Rohirrim! Charge!" The Rohirrim ran headlong into the Mûmakil, which dwarf them. The Oliphaunts crush many Rohirrim, although some hit the beasts with arrows and spears.

Haradrim shoot arrows down at the Rohirrim and some Oliphaunts trample some of the Rohirrim. Gamling  and Rowan rode under a Mûmakil, shooting arrows into it's belly. As Éomer twirled his spear and hurled it at one of the Haradrim captains and it pierced through the Captain's stomach. The Oliphaunt staggers and falls into another Mûmakil. Éowyn and Merry rode between the legs of the beasts. "Take the reins. Pull it left! Left!" Éowyn ordered Merry to do as she sliced open the legs of an Oliphaunt, making it fall to the ground. "Aim for the head!" Éomer shouted and Rowan did just that making one collapse onto the ground. The impact made her fall of her horse and nearly get squished by it.

 "Make for the oliphaunts!" Gamling shouted at his men. One of the oliphaunts is riddled with spears. "Bring it down! Bring it down! Bring it down!" Théoden ordered. Éowyn threw a spear that lands in a oliphaunt's leg. The wounded beast falls and knocks Merry off their horse. Rowan is on the floor not too far from Merry. A nasty Orc, that kept sneering at her, loomed over Rowan as she law beneath her horse. Suddenly a spear shot straight through it's head and it fell straight on top of her. Rowan turned slightly and saw Éomer to her left, laughing at the sight. She had an orc lying right on top of her. She gave him a look.

Théoden fought off Orcs and Éowyn fights off several of them too, not too far away.  Théoden looked at her with possible recognition. Merry emerges and is attacked. He fought off several Orcs, including one who picked him up. Rowan raced over to help Merry as no one was fighting around them but exchanged a blow in the back by Gothmog and she let out an ear piercing scream. Éomer turned and saw as she fell down but he was too busy fighting Orcs around him that he couldn't help.

Inside Minas Tirith, a troll hammered at a door blocking access to the next level of the city. Gandalf, Pippin, and a few remaining soldiers await the onslaught.  "I didn't think it would end this way." Pippin cried looking up at Gandalf.  "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it." Gandalf replied still holding tightly onto his sword. "What, Gandalf? See what?" Pippin asked to which Gandalf replied, "White shores. And beyond, the far green country, under a swift sunrise." Pippin sighed in relief. "Well, that isn't so bad."

Gandalf: "No. No, it isn't." Gandalf and Pippin smile at each other, and prepared for the breach. Back out on plains, Théoden gathers his remaining army.  "Rally to me! To me!" He ordered. Théoden turned and saw a Nazgûl flying towards him. The beast grabs Théoden's horse in its teeth and throwed Théoden across the ground. Éowyn watched on in horror. The Nazgûl's mount approached a wounded Théoden, who is pinned under his slain horse. "Feast off his flesh." The Witch-King whispered to the fellbeast. Éowyn then moved between the the beast and Théoden. "I will kill you if you touch him." She shouted. "Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey." The fell beast bites at Éowyn. Éowyn dodged the attack and decapitated the monster.

The Witch-King dismounted. At his full height, the Witch-King loomed over Éowyn. The Witch-King attacked, eventually striking Éowyn's shield with his mace, shattering it. Éowyn cried out and fell. The Witch-King opened his arms, taunting his foe.

On the other side of the city, the fleet of black ships pulled up along the Anduin River. "Late, as usual! Pirate scum! There's work that needs doing." Skully muttered to the Orcs. The ships appear empty.  "Come on, ya sea rats! Get out off your ships!" He shouted again. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli leap out of the ships and onto land, making for the orcs. Skully and the Orcs are amused at the small assault. "There are plenty for both of us! May the best dwarf win!" Gimli muttered to Legolas.

As they attack, the dead army appears behind them. The dead army overruns the Orcs. The Witch-King grabs Éowyn by the throat.  "You fool! No man can slay the Lord of the Nazgûl! Die now!" Merry, crawling up from behind, stabs the wraith's knee (with the dagger of the Noldorin given to him by Galadriel). Éowyn stood before the now vulnerable Witch-King and removed her helmet, revealing her true form: a shieldmaiden of Rohan.  "I am no man!" Éowyn shouted as she striked down the Witch-King. The wraith crumbles into a heap.