Chapter 30: Am I Going to Survive?

After resorting to using the bathroom to change, Strider joined Johnny and Devin on their way to science class, and they headed down the stairs. He was quick to avoid Shamlya, but also looked back up at the others, particularly the current of Tori and Mark, holding hands. With Johnny and Devin doing the same, it peaked his interest.

"You think they're happy together? At first I thought so, but I'm not too sure."

"Apart, something feels off. Together, I feel a nice chorus coming from them."

In contrast, Johnny laughed. "We'd still win for classes' cutest couple. If their egos were as cute as they are together, maybe I could see it."

"Why does Johnny remind me of all those villains who seem nice and turn out to be smiling psychos? Then again, I think of some really weird stuff too." Also, Strider thought, it's too funny seeing an orange skinned person being so arrogant. "Then again, I wonder if-"

"If?" Devin was waiting for him to finish his sentence.

"Hey. What would you say to someone who might be interested in someone else?"

Devin raised up his hair. "Don't want them just to fix your shattered heart. The music from your hearts will show. If they're willing to sit down and listen to your lyrics, and you do the same, you'll have your duet." It took him aback. Maybe it could happen to him one day.

Johnny added on."Or in your case, can you trusted someone with your darkness?"

His eyes widened as his thoughts went to Kellisha before lowering down.

"I did. Once. And it didn't work out," quickly walking ahead on his own.

Devin called out to him, as he opened the door when they got to the third floor. "Was it something I said?"

"No. It just brings back some bad memories. Besides, I shouldn't even think about falling in love." He didn't go into further detail as they headed inside.

Strider just wanted the rest of the day to go easy. Lay low, learn, and listen, no conflict. Ms. Yvonne and Yateveo decided their first topic was going to be on extinction. For some reason, his eyes were starting to water and itch, and briefly close, just expecting a simple lecture.

Thirty seconds later, he was riding on a pterodactyl. When he looked around, almost everyone else was on one or riding with someone else, while Kevin and Ms. Yvonne was leading the pack, the latter standing on her ride without a fear in the world.

"Why the heck is the air so hot," Tori whined.

Kevin was about to explain how the virtual stimulation dimensions were made to be authentic, yet adaptable to human bodies, when he was cut off by Krystal, also worried about the temperature.

Eliza flaunted her hair. "Because this is the era where the strong survive and the weaklings who contribute to their own failings are the ones who resulted in the pathetic self-extinction of their own lives. I'd suggest you two learn from this."

Strider raised his hands in confusion and immediately put them down once his glasses almost slipped and he noticed how far he could fall. "I thought it was cuz of a meteor?"

"She's not wrong," Ms. Yvonne cut in. "Ever wondered why a rock wiped out an entire species? Take a guess."

Strider's first mind was to think about all the times he saw explosions, large attacks that would start small and expand, and moves from video games where he could hit multiple people at once. "The blast radius expanded into the sky, then the rest of the world?"

"Mhmm, close," pointing down, so everyone could see the volcanoes erupting. "All that activity spreaded gases into the atmosphere."

Chiko rose hers. "And when it erupted, tidal waves, heatwaves, poisoned the animals, and limited the light in the planet's surface, right?"