Reminiscing about the past

By the time we reached our destination both Arthur and I were completely exhausted.

"Impressive! You're both at light core stage right? Even though I slowed down a bit I expected to take breaks in between." Jasmine said as she gathered up the branches of wood she gathered in a conical structure.

Picking up my arm she pointed the palm of my hand towards the kindlings.

Understanding why exactly she did it a gout of fire found its way out of my arm.

We sat down on a log with Jasmine in between both of us.

Arthur spoke first, breaking the silence, "What made you want to become an adventurer Jasmine?"

After staying silent for a few minutes she spike gently, "I wanted to get away from my family,"

"I see.....are you on bad terms with your family?" Arthur continued.

Tact Arthur. Heard of it?

Glaring at him I gave him a look telling him to drop it.

He looked apologetic suddenly and was about to speak again, no doubt saying something like 'You don't have to tell me if you don't want to'.

But before he could Jasmine started speaking, "The Flamesworth house was a major contributor in the war against the Elves. Our house has provided a multitude of conjurers and augmentors, all fire mages. Since fire is considered the most powerful element we took great pride in it."

I see.
Wait a minute!
Isn't she a wind mage?

Arthur vocalized my thoughts, "But aren't you a..."

Nodding in affirmation she continued, "So when I awakened earlier than all of my siblings my family had high expectations of me. But when I went through tests to show my mana attribute it was made clear that I had no affinity for fire magic. Seeing this my family shunned me and regarded me as...lesser..."

After hearing this I was seething in anger. While I had a calm demeanor outside, it was the total opposite of what was taking place inside me. A war between my self control and the scorching rage that was barely kept at bay.

"Tsk... THATS STUPID! I understand that there are different stages in mana core strength. But it's completely arbitary - No absurd - for mages to create a hierarchy based on elemental affinity. No element is innately better than the other. It all depends on how well the mage uses it." Arthur shouted.

This little stunt of his startled me enough that my anger receeded. And so I contributed to it, "It also depends on the location of the mage or the affinity of the opponent. A fire mage would have a lower chance of victory against a water mage. On the other hand if the battle takes place in an extremely windy environment a wind mage could easily snuff out any fire bassed attacks used against them."

Seeing us like this Jasmine broke out in laughter.

After calming down she proceeded to apologize, "I'm sorry..You're normally so composed. It took me by surprise to see you two so riled up"

I guess her story triggered memories of my past life.

Back then I had been taken in by my Aunt after my parents untimely demise. Which I learned later was due to them playing a big part in ending the Civil war that had been plaguing the nation for close to a year. Some of them survived and planned to attack my family for their efforts. And they succeeded, for the most part.

To say they were unhappy to take me in would've been an understatement. Her relation with my family was rocky at best so it wasn't a surprise I was disliked.

There I was treated little better than an animal. The only one who treated me like a human was their son, my cousin. Over the years we had formed a deep kinship with each other.

But that didn't last.

As I had overlooked one important detail, my entire family was targeted, and that included my Aunt's family. So 4 years after the death of my parents they struck again. This time failing in the attempt.

Although it didn't come without a cost. My cousin, Ryan was killed in the attack. Whats worse is that he died shielding me.

After their sons death my Aunt and her husband were distraught and took out their anger and frustration on me.

After a particularly bad beating I decided to run.

And run I did. An 11 year old kid ran across one nation to find refuge in another.

And after I found said refuge, I also found 3 people who would become my most cherished comrades for the next few years.

Until tragedy struck again.

I was brought out of my trance like state when Arthur shook me vigorously, "Fayden, you alright?"

Realizing I had spaced out I spoke trying to reassure them I was okay, "I'm okay, just spaced out is all..."

Arthur had a look of understanding on his face, no doubt he was thinking of his past as well.

Jasmine looked at me skeptically before giving in, accepting my lie.

Soon enough we packed up for the night.

Lying down I tried sensing Zeke, turns out hes quite far away. At least he's having the time of his life hunting beasts.

"Arthur, Fayden...." Jasmine spoke our names causing Arthur to hum in response and eliciting a 'Yes?' From me.

"Looking back I think I might have pressurized you to chose me as your guardian. I'm not the most friendly nor am I the most knowledgeable among the Twin horns. So maybe I should've asked for your opinions instead." She continued.

"But you are the best option," I say.

"Eum?" She seemed startled.

"Out of the Twin Horns you are the best option to pick as a guardian. Helen and Durden told themselves that they aren't good at protection, Angela would've probably crushed us to death and Adam's...well Adam. Taking these into consideration you were the best choice. Sure you're not as friendly or cuddly (thankfully) like the others, but thats what makes you different."

"I...don't know what to say. Than you Fayden," Jasmine said with shock evident on her face

"I agree with Fayden. I'm glad you volunteered Jasmine, you're not afraid to tell me when I'm wrong. And thats something I know we'll need, since we tend to go overboard sometimes." Arthur said.

"Oi I don't go nearly as overboard as you!" I glare at him playfully.

He chuckled, "Anyways we should really get some sleep now,"

"It's weird you know. When talking to you two I don't feel like I'm talking to children at all," she suddenly spoke a few minutes later.

I had turned away from her a few minutes ago, and I'm glad I did.

Otherwise she would've seen the nervous sweatdrops on my face.