Deification

"What do you want to know?" Noctis asked.

"About my beast will, what is the shell that covers my mana core, why do abilities from my beast will gradually become available at my normal state?"

"Right, your 'Beast Will' as you call it." He sighed

"It's not a beast will?" I asked, confusion etched on my face.

"It's far from a mere will. I guess I should start with the beginning then. As you know, we, Marchosias, are the smartest asuras to exist, but along with the intellect, comes the thirst of knowledge. That inevitably led us to find out about the existence of Aether. This Aether is vastly different from mana, it is said to be the building blocks of the very universe. While mana makes up the substance inside it. Aether is undetectable to most beings, even asuras, as only a fraction of the Indrarth clan could see it." He began.

"Then how were you guys able to see it?" I interrupted.

"I'm getting there. We spied on the Indrath, especially when they activated Realmheart, a state where golden runes would litter their bodies and they would begin to see the world in monochrome, with only the mana and aether particles having any color. The way we learned about the inner workings of Realmheart is not something I am proud of. We dug up their graves, Fayden. Our forefathers, in their insatiable hunger for knowledge desecrated their graves and dissected their bodies to find any hints about Realmheart and Aether. We did figure out what Aether was, but we never learned how Realmheart truly works, but with what we did learn, coupled with our rather vast knowledge about our own mana arts, we managed to make a version of Realmheart. We call it Shadowsoul." He sighed wearily.

"Okay, so this aether, what did it do?"

"Aether had three branches, control over time, aevium; authority over space, spatium; and influence over all of life, vivum. Shadowsoul used the principle of nuclear fusion, merging mana and aether to give us control over it. This was a big advantage since the Indraths could only influence it, not manipulate it. But the drawbacks that came with it were astronomical, making it impossible for us to surpass them. That is one of the reasons we lost." His voice was laced with sadness.

"So this Shadowsoul is my 'beast will' then?" I asked.

"Not exactly. After our fall from Epheotus, we devoted most of our time creating the key, something that would make their Realmheart look petty, something that could rival the progenitors of the 7 remaining clans combined. The key is the power of every Marchosias, be it my race of shadows or Sierra's race of radiance. We even included in it the essence of our progenitor. In the end, the key, which was supposed to lead us to our salvation, did not work on any Marchosias. But then we thought of giving it to a lesser, and make them our representative. so my brother and I set out into the outside world into Dicathen." he explained.

"The elves did mention worshipping a wolf god." I commented.

"Yes, Fenrir did like the elves enough to help them out from time to time." He smiled sadly, "Yet, we couldn't find anyone suitable for it. For a lesser being, we needed them to be younger than five and already have a mana core. But even the oldest of them didn't have a mana core back then. So we decided to come back a few centuries later. But the asuras found us, so they sent an entire battalion to fight against us. I possessed the key back then where it was kept in my mana core since it was incorporeal. There was no way we could beat them. So Fenrir decided to hold them off as I ran. I protested against him, I did not want to leave my brother to die. But he was persistent, and since I am of the spatium genus and had the key within me, I had the best chance of running away. He, who was of the aevium genus, used his abilities to slow them down, giving me a chance to run. I had no choice but to run."