The floating city

The next day I woke up to Zeke tugging my sleeve.

Wake up!

"Yeah, yeah I'm awake. Sheesh someone's excited to look around the city." I say while rubbing his head. I could see the stars in his eyes.

Stretching I got up and gestured him to come and take a bath.

Do I have to?

Gah! Don't give me those puppy dog eyes. They won't work on me.

"Yes, you stink."

After taking a shower I opened my door to go down, only to find myself face to face with my sister.

"Morning Ellie" I said kneeling down to her level.

"Let me guess Mom told you to come and wake us up?" I said smiling warmly at her. 

"Y-Yes!" She nodded.

"Alright then come on lets go wake up Art." 

So we went to his room, Zeke following closely behind me.

She knocked on his door and waited shyly, looking down at the soles of her shoes.

"Well hello there Ellie." Arthur said squatting down.

"G-G'morning Bruhder. Mama told me to w-wake you up," she replied, her head still hanging low.

"Haha, I see! Thank you very much, little sister," He patted her head trying to put her at ease. It worked, she visibly relaxed and started blushing a bit.

Extending his hand he said, "Can you show me the way to the kitchen."

Hesitating for a second she finally took his hand pulling him along with an excited nod and me following them not too far back.

After breakfast we headed out.

The city of Xyrus was beautiful. The sights that came into view as we were traveling down the main road kept me mesmerized. Magic shops, armories, spell books, even beast core shops were scattered all around the city. Extravagantly dressed nobles of all ages passed by us in their luxurious carriages. The buildings here much much taller than back in Ashber. There were children a few years older than me wearing similar uniforms with the colors varying from blue to grey and red.

Eventually we reached the fashion district. It is then I learned that shopping for clothes with women was more of a nightmare than Gramps' training regimen. We were used as mannequins for each of their preferences in clothing. Mother wanted to outfit us in simple clothes unlike Tabitha who picked clothes that would make us look like some form of prince, hell even Ellie and Lilia had us try on clothes of their choosing.

In the end we received 10 sets of clothes each, one half from mother and the other from Tabitha. While the three of us protested against Tabitha buying us anything, she reprimanded us saying it was an investment and that she always wanted a son of her own.

After storing the bags in the carriage we looked around a but more. Arthur wanted to go to the armory, reasonably so since he didn't have a weapon and was unable to train properly since returning. The others didn't want that and forced us to go to the jewelry and gem stores.

Finally we came back home, mentally and physically exhausted.

Dad returned soon after.

"So how did your day go?" He chuckled and seated himself beside Arthur.

"I never thought shopping could be so tiring." He groaned.

"A nightmare." I whisper loud enough for him to hear.

"Haha! I heard that you two got beat around by a bunch of women today." Vincent exclaimed taking a seat in front of us.

"Your little geniuses aren't as much of a big deal as I expected." Tabitha exchanged a glance with my mother whilst smirking.

"That was nowhere near our area of expertise." Came my snide remark.

"I will admit that a woman has unmatched endurance when they go out shopping." Arthur refuted shortly after me.

Father and Vincent laughed even harder and mumbled an almost inconceivable 'agreed'.

A doorbell ringing and a few knocks captured our attention.

"Ah! Looks like she's here." Vincent got up to answer the door.

Judging by the confused expression on everyone's face they weren't informed of this as well,

He returned with an elderly woman.

"I know you guys said that you want to put off school for later, but I just couldn't help it. Everyone. Meet Cynthia Goodsky! She's the Director of Xyrus Academy."

Noticing my cold gaze or Arthur's equally annoyed look he immediately tried to justify himself, "Not to worry, I didn't invite her to send you to school right away. I only wanted Her to meet you."

I sighed in frustration.

Director Goodsky gave us a smile and held out her hand to Arthur, "Nice to finally meet you, Arthur and Fayden."

I could see Arthur's inner turmoil on what to do. I'd be in a similar predicament if she extended her hand to me.

"Err...nice to meet you too Director." He shook her hand and I bowed to her, "A pleasure to meet you Director Goodsky."

Immediately Mother rushed to us and forced us to kneel, "I'm so sorry for their rude behavior, Director. They've just returned home and as such are ignorant of formal customs."

"It's quite alright. No offence taken, and please call me Cynthia. I'm sorry to intrude on you at such a late time but unfortunately, the only free time I could make was after my meeting tonight. I hope you don't mind." She said looking at my parents.

"No no no! We're thankful you took the time out just to visit our sons." Father spoke this time.

"True, it isn't very often that I take a house trip to visit a potential student. However, Vincent is a good friend and has contributed greatly to Xyrus Academy. So when he came to me to talk about not one but two prodigies, I couldn't help getting curious as well. Can you take us to an open space for a demonstration." She gazed at us as is analyzing us.

"Can I at least have din-ouch" Mother hit his head before he could finish his sentence.

"Of course. Please follow us." Mother ushered us forward as Director Cynthia followed close behind.

Sylvie came out from under the table and followed us.

"My...what a lovely mana beast. Is that your father's contract?" She kneeled down to look at her.

"No Sylvie is my bond, she hatched just recently."

"I have to say, while many nobles purchase mana beasts to form contracts but I've never seen a mana beast like yours."

"I'm not entirely sure what she is myself, her mother was a scaled wolf with wings who died fighting another wolf-like beast, who also dies soon. When we went to check them I found an egg while my brother found a newborn cub. We've been raising them ever since." he explained.

"Your brother also has a bond?" She said looking at me.

"Yes, as for what he is. You'll find out in the demonstration."

"We're here." Vincent announced.

"Let us see if Vincent was just exaggerating. He didn't tell much other than one of you is an augmenter and the other a conjurer, saying he doesn't want to spoil the surprise."

"Do either of you wish to arm yourself with a weapon?" She asked.

"Seeing that you have no intention of using your wand, I'll go barehanded as well." He replied.

She seemed satisfied with his answer and turned towards me.

"No. I will conjure my own weapons." I say.

"Well then, shall we begin." She smiles again, that same smile whose meaning I couldn't find.

Here goes nothing.