[REWRITE] Chapter 1 - New world

The sunlight enveloped the expansive deck of his flagship in a warm, golden hue, casting elongated shadows that swayed with the rhythmic motions of the colossal vessel. Amidst this maritime spectacle, the anguished cries of distressed sailors reverberated through the air, carried away by the gentle sea breeze. In the orchestrated chaos, his commanding officers, their faces etched with desperation, issued a cacophony of orders in an attempt to salvage what remained of their once-mighty fleet.

At his side stood his first mate, eyes wide with apprehension, mirroring the tension gripping the entire ship. The naval powerhouse, once proudly known as the Pride, now finds itself humbled—a mere infant among the vast expanse of the Aetesian navy. Each thunderous explosion marked the obliteration of another vessel, a grim testament to the relentless onslaught they faced. Despite the enemy ship looming distantly on the horizon, a mere speck visible through the admiral's telescope, its deadly accuracy rendered any retaliatory efforts futile.

"Maintaining their distance, yet achieving victory," the whispered realisation hung heavy in the air.

"It's unfathomable!" The admiral's mind wrestled with the incongruity of their situation. There was no victory to be found in this chaotic battle, and the notion of retreat lingered as a dishonourable escape—an option that would tarnish not only his reputation but also the honour of his esteemed family. The renowned Admiral, once lauded for his strategic brilliance in outmanoeuvring a formidable Alveronian fleet, now finds himself thrust into circumstances where sweat trickles down his furrowed brow.

Amidst this maritime turmoil, a directive was issued—a pressing message to the prince, conveying the grim reality of a battle's conclusion morphing into a savage massacre.

The officer, bearing the weight of this solemn responsibility, met the admiral's gaze with unwavering resolve. Noting the telltale flush on the admiral's face, the officer acknowledged the command.

"Yes, sir!"

As the officer hurried away to fulfil this sombre duty, a few officers remained on the deck, left to witness the unfolding tragedy. The solitary grey cruiser, a formidable giant, persisted in its merciless onslaught, methodically dismantling the once-invincible ironclad ships.

The admiral shifted his gaze to the flag, a symbol of their naval supremacy, shaped like a rising red sun, defiantly waving above the bridge.

"Who are these assailants?!" The final exclamation echoed through the air, a desperate cry for comprehension as three massive arrows hurtled towards them, leaving behind a trail of smoke and flames. The admiral, accepting the inevitability of his final moments, stood amidst the clamour of war cries from his officers, making futile attempts to change the trajectory of their impending doom.

It was to be his ultimate moment—a sorrowful conclusion. With closed eyes, he braced for the impending explosion as the arrows soared past, engulfing his once-proud flagship in a fiery spectacle of devastation.

• • • • •

Tokyo, Japan.

November 10, 2025

As pedestrians trudged homeward, seeking refuge from a relentless day beneath the shelter of their umbrellas, distant traffic wails echoed through the rain-soaked streets. Overhead, thick clouds shrouded the sky, casting a sombre hue over the city. The incessant drumming of raindrops ceased as individuals found themselves drawn to a nearby electronics store, where news reports blared about "Chinese tension on the Senkaku Islands."

In the heart of Tokyo, Prime Minister Takahashi delved into the affairs of the nation within the confines of his office. Glancing out the window, he observed the relentless rain cascading down. His curiosity led him to trace his finger along the windowpane, momentarily connecting with the tempest outside.