Chapter 86.

THE BACKFIRED ATTACK.

"...and that's the whole story." His grip tightening around Kyoko's arm, Kijima chuckled, which neither Ren nor Kyoko shared, as he narrated to his friend how the two of them ended up together at the party. "Kyoko got a makeover, and I got a beautiful date for tonight. Since both of us were getting something out of it, we just went for it."

Instead of passing some polite remark, which Ren would've generally done, his lips stretched into a smile, and to Kyoko's horror, it wasn't any ordinary smile, but his deadly cold perfect signature smile!

She couldn't resist a shiver. What? Is he mad? Why? What did I do now?

Kyoko became absolutely sure that it was her Ren was angry with as he directed his blazing fake smile straight at her. "Good for you."

Fortunately, before Kyoko could get even more tensed up, a small crowd of girls approached Ren and surrounded him, and so, following Kijima's lead, she quietly slipped away from there.

They had not ventured very far and were probably still close enough to Ren and Yashiro to be in hearing range when they ran into a couple of Kijima's friends, and him being totally oblivious about Ren's mood, he started chatting with them right there with Kyoko still at his arm.

"Aren't you gonna introduce us to your date?" One of the men asked Kijima, and they were absolutely thrilled to find her to be Kyoko, since they have known her already since the beginning of Dark Moon, and still not recognized her.

Once more, Kyoko was showered with compliments because of how beautiful she looked, which she gratefully received.

"So, what do you guys think about us?" Kijima smirked. His arm snaked around Kyoko's waist and he pressed her to his side. "Wouldn't we make an awesome couple?"

His friends nodded and offered encouraging remarks, but Kyoko knew that Kijima was a man with a sense of humor, and assuming it to be one of his many pranks, she laughed aloud. Her action being perceived by others as willingness on her part.

Ren's ears had already been perked up since he had been trying to eavesdrop every word uttered by those two, but if he felt anything by this new turn of events, he didn't show it. He just continued to entertain his admirers with his usual smile.

His manager wasn't as calm or collected though. Yashiro's jaw was hanging. Throwing a quick glance at Ren, he stared at Kyoko in part horror and part anticipation.

Meanwhile, being put on the spot like that, Kyoko realized how everyone within a five metre radius was staring at her to hear her response.

Why're they all acting so serious? He was only joking! She thought. Turning to Kijima, she offered him her brightest of smiles before answering his question, "why not?"

A few people clapped, while some patted their backs to congratulate them, which finally made Kyoko realize, that maybe, just maybe Kijima wasn't actually joking and she had just accepted to go out with him in front of half a dozen people. Biting her lower lip, she let dread take over her.

Meanwhile, if Yashiro's jaw was hanging before, now it touched the floor and a choking sound escaped from his throat. He finally dared to look at Ren, and to his surprise, his client was still entertaining his admirers, his smile slackened not even by an inch.

Maybe he didn't hear them, the manager figured. Turning to look at Kyoko again, he sighed. I'm sorry Kyoko, but this time even if can't help you. You've brought this on yourself, and so you'll have to suffer the wrath of Ren by yourself.