Chapter 13.

PARTNER IN PINK.

Kyoko opened her eyes. She was in an empty room lying on a futon.

The door opened blinding her with the weaker rays of the setting sun, it was almost evening. How long was I out? She wondered.

The last thing she remembered was when she was being treated by a doctor and Yashiro came to visit her.

She asked him who got the part and he said that it was Ruriko. After that, she blacked out again.

A bittersweet feeling sank into her gut when she remember that. She wanted to get the part but she was also relieved at the same time that she didn't get it.

"Are you awake?" The person who had opened the door, said.

"Yes."

"Here." It was Ruriko. She handed Kyoko the pink heart-shaped diary, which she had left in the makeup room earlier.

Kyoko took it from her and opened it as she sat up. There was a mark left by a hundred points stamp with Ruriko's signature beneath it.

"But Ruriko...are you serious?" She asked with utter disbelief.

"Well, it took a lot of soul searching but I guess you tried pretty hard for a hyena girl or whatever," Ruriko replied in a board tone.

Kyoko looked at Ruriko like she was insane. It ended up provoking her.

"What's that weird look for?" Her tone was angry.

"Uh... I am sorry." Kyoko looked down. She was still trying to figure out what was wrong with Ruriko. I tried pretty hard? I tried pretty hard to steal her role out from under her, on her own set. Now she is complimenting me? And she is rewarding me? What happened here? Did she smack her head? Is she suffering from some kind of delusion.

"What the heck?" Ruriko shouted at the creepy expression Kyoko was making. "If you got something to say to me then say it to my face!"

Kyoko chuckled and shook her head.

"Look, I get it, alright? After you went unconscious, I swear I didn't run over to Mr Shinka and start begging him for the role. I bet that's what you think though."

"No, I don't."

"Wait, what?"

"I may not remember what happened after I dropped the tea but when it's all said and done, I am pretty sure this is a competition I deserved to lose. I could put together all kind of excuses but the fact of the matter is I pushed myself too far and," she raised her fist in frustration. "I didn't earn that role today."

"That's a pretty good point. I mean I guess so. Maybe...maybe you're not actually that bad," Ruriko said, averting her eyes.

Kyoko's jaw dropped from surprise and her mouth turned into an O. Ruriko being nice was creeping her out.

"Wipe that look off your face," Ruriko snapped. She might have changed for the better but Kyoko still irritated her. "And shut your mouth while you are at it. I can't believe you're so annoying. I am out of here, hyena girl." She marched out.

.

.

.

"Wow!" Kyoko exclaimed loudly. She was with the Director in the lobby of the hotel where the crew was staying for the night. It was just below the mountain so it would be easier to resume the shoot the next morning.

She was sitting on a chair when the Director along with his assistant came to her. Another guy followed them with a big, beautifully carved, wooden photo frame.