Chapter 64.

THE SURPRISE.

Smiling at the guests, shaking their hands, and exchanging pleasantries with them, Kyoko made her way across the ballroom, looking all over for her very special guest, Moko.

Her eyes kept dancing from face to face until they found their target. Moko was standing in a quiet corner with a drink in her hand. Her lean body being wrapped around a silk black, skin-tight, knee-length gown revealed her supple form, and with her raven hair tied back in an intended messy bun, she looked quite ravishing, but to Kyoko, she looked like the most beautiful girl in the world.

"Moko!" Kyoko engulfed her best-friend in a tight, bear hug. "I'm so sorry I made you wait!" Her eyes traveled down Moko's dress once again before coming back up. "You look absolutely gorgeous!"

"Thanks, but what's up with your dress? Aren't you gonna change?" Moko inquired out of curiosity as she eyed Kyoko's chalk white chef's uniform. The ends of her ginger hair were pulled together in a couple of fountain ponytails.

It was then Kyoko shared her experience of being a head chef with Moko. The two girls chatted for a while, about the party, their work, and their personal lives, before they were interrupted by Maria, who climbed on the stage and clinked her glass with a spoon to get everyone's attention.

"I just want to thank you all for attending this party," Maria smiled her sweet sugary smile. "To show my gratitude, I'm about to play a song which is dedicated to all of you." She said, tapping the grand piano beside her.

As she seated down and started to play, a chorus of awws arose from the crowd. For such a young girl, Maria played the piano exceptionally well. The rhythm of the jolly tune she was playing also captured the undivided attention of the guests. Not to mention the fact that besides her talent as a pianist, Maria looked as adorable as a little princess. Before her recital, she had changed out of her tuxedo, and instead, put on a pale puffy gown, with a bunch of pink flowers sewn onto it. She had also left her golden brown curls to hang freely behind her back.

As the song continued, the guests went ecstatic, applauding their hearts out for the little artist. Soon, the band members also picked up their instruments and joined Maria.

Moko couldn't help smiling herself as she watched the President's granddaughter chuckle like that. "You did it because you wanted her to celebrate her birthday, didn't you?" She turned towards Kyoko.

A sad smile stretched Kyoko's lips. "I can't even imagine how frustrated Maria would have been. The whole world is celebrating and partying on the same day her mother died. I think that deep down she still blames herself. I just had to do something for her. I couldn't get her to celebrate her birthday, but I at least gave her a reason to enjoy it."

As the evening passed, more and more guests appeared. Seeing how Maria was dancing on the stage with a bunch of other kids her age, Kyoko excused herself from Moko's company and decided to tend to the newly arrived guests herself.

It was around eleven when the Dark Moon cast and Director Ogata finally showed up. A little while later, the Taishos arrived as well. They all had the same surprised and slightly embarrassed look on their faces when they were welcomed by those men with the saxophones at the entrance. As wierd as it looked, it was also hilarious in a way to see them all get so flustered.

By eleven thirty, the person Kyoko had been awaiting the most arrived. Once again, the party poppers around the entrance went off showering him with golden confetti, as he stepped inside along with his manager.

Unlike the other guests, who turned shocked and agitated to receive such a grandiose welcome, Ren Tsuruga was amused. Instead of getting flustered, he chuckled out loud, sweeping away the golden confetti off his head by running his fingers through his smooth hair.