Annalise

My family has no integral connections with the Outfit, Isabella. In fact, we were highly indebted to the Irish. My father’s life basically belonged to Myester— a cruel loan-shark that handled the streets in Brooklyn.”

I waited for her to continue.

“Father tried to rob a bank, it was his attempt to make enough money and pay off his loan. But he was caught and sent to prison. Myester began harassing our family and threatened to take my youngest sister and sell her body to continue paying off my father’s loan.” Annalise seemed completely lost in the tragic memory of her life. Re-telling the story was making her restless. It was notable by the way her forehead creased and her lips thinned.

“My mother took on a second job but eventually we lost our house. We moved in with our aunt but when we started having more problems….my mother committed suicide. That didn’t stop Myester though. I was your age at the time. He began to harass me with the same threats. My sister Luna was so young…” It was like a terrible dark cloud shadowed over her words.

“I dropped out of school and began the vicious cycle that both my parents had gone through already. Vowing that Luna would never have to face that monster…but there’s only certain job’s you can get at the age of 16 and they don’t pay very well.” She recalled.

“Anyway, I went to FORTRESS, a club in the city that belongs to the Irish, where I knew Myester would be. It was time for my bi-weekly payment,” she scoffed at the memory. “When I got there and paid up there was commotion in the crowd. Gun-fire sounded and before I knew it there was a shoot-out. I tried to get away but Myester pulled me with him to the back of the club, I guess he was trying to save my life. Probably the one good deed he ever did.”

“Or maybe he just didn’t want his payments to stop pre-maturely,” I said with a serious note. And she nodded, like that too could be a possibility.

“The Italians were there to pay off a score. Armando was there with some of his men. He got to us before we made it to Myester’s car. He killed Myester. He shot him in the head without even batting an eye.  Then he gave me 2 choices.”

“What choices were those?” I asked curiously. My brother was a badass.

“He told me my first choice was to die— he said that it would be a well suited punishment for being with that asshole…. Or I could spend the night with him.” She laughed, like she still couldn’t believe story herself.

“Armando said that to you?” My voice was laced with astonishment. That was crazy. My brother adored Annalise. It was hard picturing him ever treating her like a common whore.

“Your brother thought I was Myester’s slut. But I knew he was serious. Myester was a cruel man and anyone who had the guts to kill him— your brother— was not to be taken lightly. And if I chose to die rather than spend a night with him, what would happen to Luna?” She looked at me expectantly, like she wanted me to agree with her reasoning.

“Of course,” I said, not able to deny her.

“So my choice was easy. That night your brother found out I was a virgin. And afterwards, he was obsessed with me. I tried to push him away, make him leave me alone. I didn’t want anything to do with a mobster…with someone who killed so easily and had no regrets.”

“Yeah, that’s the shit part about being born into this life. We’re all covered with blood,” I said tragically.

She laughed again, “Yes that’s true. For a long time I pushed him away. But when Armando wants something, there’s no changing his mind. Anyway, the man who took Myester’s place found out about my debt. The Irish tracked me down and tried to collect. When I couldn’t pay up, his men beat me damn well bloody. There was no one I could turn to except your brother. He had been kind to me.”