FIRST ESCAPE

My 15th birthday was fast approaching. It was only two months away. Soon Anthony would return to New York for our yearly date...how romantic. Part of me, a very reluctant part, wanted to use the time to get to know him. Might as well, eventually I’d have no choice anyway. Eventually I’d be shipped off to his city and forced to live with him and keep his bed warm. But another part of me, the part that was still very much my age, was royally pissed off at him.

Anthony was going to be capo one day, things like this didn’t happen without his consent— he was not in the same position I was in. My father didn’t give me a choice, my father ordered it and despite any objections on my behalf there was no choice but to obey or face his wrath. Such is life for women born into the Familia; something similar would surely befall my sisters one day.

However, as more time passed by, it dawned on me that Anthony had had a choice. He didn’t strike me to be the type of man you could boss around. Especially not about something this important.

If so, why had he chosen me? Was he a child-molesting pervert? After careful consideration and many questions to my brother, that possibility was dismissed. After all, he wouldn’t have me until my 19th birthday. Why then? I couldn’t imagine a single scenario in which he thought we’d make a perfect match. He had been so cold and impassive and uninterested.

He was just as unhappy with this arrangement, if not more.

I shook my head, frustrated with myself. I was always thinking of him. We had only met once…yet he constantly occupied my thoughts.  At school, at home, in the shower, at the dinner table— I’d constantly imagine what life would be like at his side. It was unnerving and as time went by my curiosity about him only seemed to spark.

Everyday I’d ask myself a new question about him. Would he always look at me with distaste? Did he hate me because of my family? Would he lock me up in a room? Would I ever grow to love him?

My phone vibrated then and I distractedly read the text.

‘Hey Isabella, we are having a pool party tonight, want to come? I’m headed out in an hour.’

That was Alex, he never grew tired of asking me out; no matter how many times his offer had been rejected. Today had been an uneventful day and thoughts of Anthony had occupied my time. How nice would it be to actually go out with friends? With people my age? People who were not blood-related or had ties to the New York mafia.

Just then the door to my room swung open and my little sister strode in, her blonde hair was straightened, “We’re going to the movies with Sophia, care to join?”

“Right now?”

“Yeah, now.”

The wheels started to spin in my head and suddenly the best idea occurred to me.

“Okay I’ll go,” it came out almost too fast.  “Let me just grab some stuff and I’ll meet you downstairs.” My voice was sweet as honey.

Eliza shrugged and left my room without saying another word.  Immediately I rushed to my dresser, looking for my favorite bikini and large pink bag for my clothes to fit in. Excitement, mixed with a little bit of doubt, began to accumulate deep within me. But so what? Sophia always did stupid shit and she always managed to get away with it. This was happening.

When we finally arrived at the theater, Lucas and Allesandro walked closely behind us. Even Sophia’s body guard, Matteo, was there and I couldn’t help but mentally groan. Couldn’t have picked a better day to be rebellious. 

My courage became small fragments and desperate pieces the longer we stood in line for our tickets. How the hell was I going to get away from 3 ever-watchful well trained body- guards? Not to mention my brother, Armando? They were all Made Men and trained killers. Shit didn’t just get past them.

“Sophia, will you go to the bathroom with me?” Decision made. She’d have to be enlisted in my plan.

When we got to the bathroom there were a couple of girls that shot us quick glances as I shoved Sophia into one of the stalls for more privacy. It was now or never and it already felt so right.

“What the fuck!” She exclaimed.

Giving me a highly suspicious look, she spoke again. “What’s wrong with you? Do you not feel well?”

“No it’s not that,” I assured her. “I need to ask you a favor.”

“What is it?” Her eyebrows knitted together.

Telling her my desires to go to the pool party was the easy part. Not only did she seem to understand without much convincing on my part, but she almost looked just as excited as me.

After a few moments of deafening silence, it was hard to get a good read on what she was thinking. She looked like she didn’t believe me. Like the words flowing from my mouth were utter lies. Did she think I was joking? Well, I wasn’t. I would not budge on this and she could either help, or not.

Finally, she gave me a cat-like grin and I knew she was in. My shoulders visibly relaxed.

“Okay, here’s the deal. Armando and Annalise are going to watch the movie but most likely Lucas and Allesandro will stay outside in the lobby.

“Once inside we cannot sit with them. We’ll make up some bullshit excuse about the seating and move.  When the movie starts and your brother is distracted…you sneak out. But you’ll have to go alone. Someone has to stay in case Armando gets suspicious.

“You’ll have to sneak out the back so Lucas and Allesandro don’t spot you.”

It was a good plan, a solid plan, better than any of my own.

“But how do I travel without the goons?”

She shot me a know-it-all grin and reached into her purse for her phone. “That’s simple. Uber.” 

“It’s like a cab, but it won’t look suspicious.” She was typing away into her phone. “Ah here we go… Looks like someone can be here in about 20 minutes. Let’s go.”

We joined our crew in the lobby. My brother had already purchased our tickets. Just like the plan, everything went down smoothly. Armando didn’t even blink twice when we told him we wanted to switch seats. I could have kissed Sophia right then and there out of pure love.

About 15 minutes into the movie she nudged me in the side with her bony elbow. Her head twitching towards the back exit— my brother wouldn’t see if I left now.

“I sent the guy from Uber a message… they’ll be waiting for you at the back of the theater,” she whispered into my ear. “You have to go now and hopefully Armando won’t notice until the movie is over.”

Right.

I made a move to get up but her small manicured hand shot out and landed on my arm, pulling me back down with some force. “Where will you be? I won’t rat you out, but if something happens, I have to know where to find you.”

A silent warning passed in her hazel eyes. She was a fierce woman. 

“He hasn’t sent me the address but when he does I’ll forward it to you.”

She didn’t look convinced but nodded anyway, “Okay. Go, I’ll try to cover for as long as I can.”

Sneaking out of the theater was the most dangerous thing I had ever done. Nothing could ever compare to the feeling of adrenaline and excitement that wrenched my body as my feet carried me out the back door of the theater that night.  It was almost like I was in control of my own fate, like I was free of my father, like I was my own person— it was intoxicating and empowering.