LESS THAN THREE YEARS TO FIGURE OUT

Entering a dangerous game, yet impossible to stop the gamble, my arms crossed over my chest, defiant. Wanting nothing from him right now, wanting to be as far away as possible.  Needing space between me and the man who tragically still held my heart and could break it all over again if I gave him the chance.

Marcello walked passed us, obviously trying to not interrupt or be noticed. He walked into the elevator, intent on leaving to give us more privacy. But that was just the opposite of what I wanted. “Marcello can drive me back to my hotel,” The one person who I disliked only an ounce less than Anthony and my fiancée knew it.  The way his jaw clenched, cold steel looked back at me, pure power and authority, weighing what to say next. He fucking knew it. That I’d rather ride with his asshole of a guard-dog than ride with him.

“Get in the car.” His voice dangerous now.  Ignoring my suggestion completely.  “Or I’ll put you in it.” A promise.

“If you lay one hand on me I’ll tell my brother what you did.” Another promise….but mine was empty. Deep down in my heart of hearts I knew I’d never tell a soul.

“Are you threatening me?” His expression turned predatory in an instant as he took a slow step towards me. “I assure you that not a lot of people live after committing such a mistake.” He stopped right in front of me, sizing me up.  “But you see, I don’t believe that you’d do that, Isabella.”  Saw right through me, like always.

“Why the hell not?” I sounded almost annoyed, because he was right. But he sure as fuck deserved it, that and much, much more, but the Ass-wipe was right.

My fiancée was like a powerful black tiger and as he slowly rounded up his prey, the Italian ancestry came through in his face, beneath the cold dim lights of the garage. “Because the moment you do is the moment your father calls the engagement off.” Our wedding. Our union. My one saving grace.

Seemed all the odds were in his favor, the game had only just begun and already he was winning. “Maybe that’s what I want.” But there was no conviction in my words. In fact, my back began to hunch forward and tears began to swell around the corner of my eyes, beneath my lashes.

He had a fucking Ace.

“We both know that’s a lie,” He said, so damn sure of himself. Of what he meant to me. He knew I’d never risk my father calling it off.

“You left.” My voice cracked, and not caring what I looked like, what I sounded like, just needing to get my point across to the asshole that had broken me, I said, “I begged you to take me with you and yet you still left! Didn’t hear from you for months! And still wouldn’t have had I not ran into you at your stupid fucking club!” Didn’t even mention her, the whore he probably fucked on the same night he fucked me. Back in New York. Or the whore that was upstairs even now. Didn’t mention them because he didn’t fucking care.

“What do you expect?” He said heatedly, taking yet another step towards me, but this time I forgot to take a step back. “You know it’s impossible for you to be here, we’re not married yet,” Looking right down at me.

I scoffed. “Right… you sure it isn’t Maya?” He visibly flinched, like I slapped him with a reality he’d long been expecting to be thrown in his face. “Maybe that’s the real reason you don’t want me around.”

Anthony shook his head with absolute revulsion. “Once. We fucked once and already you’re like a crazy scorned girlfriend.”

“No asshole, you forced it on me!” I practically yelled in horror at his cruel words. Did the bastard have no sensitivity at all? Could he really be that cold? “If you weren’t ready for the attachment that’d follow then you should have kept your hands to yourself!”