ROMERO EMPIRE

The day had gone from shitty to a fucking riot-of-hell so quick he sometimes wondered why he even went through all this trouble. His family had more than enough money to pay someone else to do the dirty work. But he couldn’t allow that— he loved the thrill too much.  The look that his victims gave right before he sliced their throats, it was euphoric.       

It wasn’t normal at all though. Adonis had loved playing with knives since he was a wee boy. His uncle Patrick had given him his first set when he turned eight years old. He’d also made his first kill that same year.

The Romero empire was fronted by Anthony, who had studied finances and economics—  who was good at covering paper trails and played the role of a good philanthropist and playboy. His brother loved that scene. His brother preferred not to get his hands dirty if it could be avoided. Of course, Anthony had spilled his fair share of blood but they were so different.

Different because unlike Anthony, he loved that part of the job. In fact, he craved it. And that was something his brother could never understand. None of his family did. 

Adonis considered himself a lone wolf. He didn’t really like people. He didn’t have any friends, not really. He loved his family by default. But if he hadn’t been born a Romero he was pretty sure he’d be in prison by now— with all the blood that was on his hands.

He was an Enforcer.  By choice.

Anthony and his father didn’t like his hobby, said it put them all in unnecessary risks. But nothing else ever gave him the same type of satisfaction he got from spilling the blood of his enemies. Of the people who would see his family ruined and their empire burn.

He’d yet to find anything match that high. Doubtful that he ever would.

Adonis loved being on the streets, the danger that came with it. Over-seeing the base operations. He loved the control. The adrenaline rush.

“Explain it to me one more time.” Adonis gritted out through his teeth.  He’d had more than enough head-aches in the last few weeks since the Red Wedding. This though, the betrayal of his men, it was enough to set him on fire.

“I don’t know anything. I swear!” Oliver stuttered, the socket of his eyes barely holding together. Adonis had made sure the damage to his face would be permanent.

“We have undeniable proof Ollie,” Adonis retorted, giving Oliver a look that would put the Devil himself to shame. “Help me understand how the immediate danger you’re in is not more impending than whatever Del Campo might have on you?”

“You don’t understand…” Oliver cried, eyes never leaving the wrench that Adonis held in his lap, as he casually sat in a chair directly in front of him.

“No, No,” Adonis cut in, “You don’t seem to understand that if you don’t talk, you are of no value to my father,” He informed the rat. He didn’t really need a confession, he knew already what this man’s sin was.

“They have Jenny!” Oliver wept. And it made sense now. That was what had been missing from the story. It made sense how this man who had worked for his father for more than 20 years could betray them that way. He had been loyal for so long that at first his Roman had almost refused to believe it.

“So it was you?” Adonis ignored the part about his daughter, instead choosing to toy with the rat. “You told them when it was coming and where the shipment would be.”

Two days ago, a shipment containing 7 million dollars’ worth of coke had been intercepted by the D.E.A. It had all been confiscated.  Two of their best men had been shot, one was arrested, and all they were left with was the knowledge that there was a rat in their house.

It wasn’t long before he had put two-and two together.

Adonis stood from the chair and forcefully grabbed Oliver’s fat hand. He put his thumb inside the wrench and squeezed the metal hard, until Oliver shouted an ugly cry as his thumb was ripped away. It landed on the floor and blood gushed out from where the thumb once was.

Oliver started sobbing and shaking his head furiously. “I’m sorrryyyy…”

“What else does Del Campo know?” Adonis demanded. They couldn’t allow any more hits like these.

Since the Red Wedding an all-out war had started between the two Italian families that had been at peace for a little over 10 years now.  Somehow during the attack Viktor had survived and escaped with his son.

Viktor had come after them full force.

And their business was starting to hurt.  A couple weeks ago the bank that funneled the majority of their profits and kept it secure had been robbed. The official police report said nothing had been taken and the heist had been a failed attempt. The bank couldn’t say more, not without implicating themselves and risking further police investigations. So they reported nothing was taken and two people had died in vain.

It was a disaster. The truth was that Del Campo had taken 15 million dollars out of their safe boxes. He’d taken actual blocks of fucking gold. And that money belonged to the Romero’s.

Roman was furious.  It was all he could do to keep his father from going back to New York to attempt assassination again.  The thought had crossed Adonis mind several times. If he could just take out Viktor, it would weaken New York, Armando didn’t have the brain’s or the balls to run the organization alone.  But it was too risky.

Viktor was impossible to get to now. He had more than doubled his security. And Armando had left L.A., putting a halt to his Hotel Business. That was probably the smartest decision that idiot had ever made.

Tonight, Adonis would burn their hotel.

“Nothing… I don’t—  I don’t know!” Oliver swore up and down.

Adonis sighed. Normally he’d take his time torturing this man. As he always did with any rat that crossed is path— not that there were many, most people knew better than to betray his family.  But tonight, he had better plans.  He needed to kill him and go take care of Viktor’s hotel.

“I do know something! Please just don’t kill me. Please!” Oliver sputtered over his own words. “I can’t die…I have to save Jenny.” 

That intrigued him. Adonis tilted his head to the side, “Do tell Ollie, if It’s worth keeping you alive I may consider it.”

“The girl— his daughter. Isabella. And the youngest one too. They’re missing. Viktor is sure that Roman has them!” Oliver said desperately.

He narrowed his eyes. “My father doesn’t have them. And even if he did, at this point Viktor would get them back in body bags.”

Adonis knew the only one who had died for sure was Viktor’s wife. Sadly, his men hadn’t put a bullet in that old bastard’s head. Had Roman not prohibited him from going, he was sure they wouldn’t be in this mess to begin with. His father had specifically ordered both he and Anthony to stay away from the Red Wedding. He wished he had ignored those orders.

“Please that’s all I know! I’ve always been loyal to your father. Please!” Oliver cried again, starting to look almost blue from the loss of blood and trauma.

“Well Ollie… it seems that really wasn’t worth keeping you alive. Normally, I’d make sure to show you a real good time before sending you into the after life…but I have other pressing matters to attend to tonight.”  Adonis said like he couldn’t be bothered to waste any more time thinking about the matter.

He turned to Jethro who had silently stood by watching everything.  “Send Mr. Oliver’s head back to Viktor.”  He threw the wrench to the floor, pulled out a hankie and wiped Oliver’s blood from his hand.

“No please, Adonis please!” Oliver begged, eyes desperately searching his face for a mercy he’d never find.

“Yes sir,” Jethro said with a menacing smirk, pulling out his favorite knife