MEETING AGAIN

No amount of begging and pleading convinced my mother to change my outfit for the day. I glared at the mirror, downright perturbed by the image staring back at me. Even though my hair had ben professionally done by my mother’s regular hair-stylist and my make-up had been flawlessly applied, the outfit was still atrocious. No amount of hairspray or makeup could make it any less awful.

It pissed me the fuck off. No fucking joke.

I hadn’t noticed my brother walk into my bedroom but I looked up when his voice broke through my thoughts.

“Hey sis…you look…” he struggled… “Nice.” Ouch.

I glared murderous daggers at him and turned to punch him in the arm. He chuckled lightly before shoving an envelope into my hand. “Why do you have to be so violent? Here, open this.”

Rolling my eyes, I reluctantly bit in the smart remark that was on the tip of my tongue. Opening the enveloped revealed a happy birthday card. There was teddy-bear on it with balloons and it said ‘Happy birthday to a beautiful sister with the best brother in the world.’ But that wasn’t the best part, I squealed with pure delight at the discovery of Drake concert tickets. The concert wasn’t for months from now, but it was still an amazing present.

“Oh my god…I love you!” I jumped into his embrace, my arms wrapped around his neck frantically in my excitement as he patted me awkwardly.

“Alright, Alright… enough with the choking…” He exclaimed through his laughter.

“This is amazing. Thank you!” I hugged him again and breathed deeply.  “You just made my fucking day. Despite the hell I’m about to go through.” I pulled away from him and stared at the tickets again.  “Fucking front row tickets, Mandiz!  You really are my favorite brother!”

He laughed again. “I’m your only brother.”

“Yes and by default my favorite.” I put the tickets down on my dresser and went to the closet for the ugly black shoes my mother bought. 

“Listen…don’t talk about the concert in front of Marcello…just in case your boy decides he doesn’t want you to go. Let’s just pretend it’s a last minute thing when the time comes.”

I shrugged. “Fine by me.”

With my shoes finally on, I stepped out of the closet to find a tired and wary look on his face.

“What is it?” My eyes studied searched his face. Armando had been working at lot more in the recent months.  Father wanted to retire soon and that meant the family businesses along with the title of Capo would rest on my brother’s shoulders.

He wouldn’t visit me as often as he used to and I missed him terribly. But there was nothing to do about it. We both had our roles to play in the Cosa Nostra. In reality, the bigger of our two burdens was his and I didn’t know how he was able to do it every day without breaking down.

“You’re not wearing his gifts.” His voice was stern. He was beginning to sound more and more like a Capo every day.

“Ugh,” I moaned in dislike. But walked to my dresser and picked up the black velvet box to retrieve the necklace.

Armando walked towards me and took it from my hands. “Let me,” he insisted.

He secured it around my neck and then stepped back into my front view. “You’re missing one more thing, Bella.” He reached into his pocket and my engagement ring glared at me. Shocked, I met his gaze as he slipped it on to the correct finger.

“I suppose that’s as good as it’s going to get,” he joked, trying to lighten the mood. “Let’s go downstairs, your fiancée should be arriving soon.”