Chapter 1

I run and run! Desperate for an escape. Needing to get out of here now before he catches me. My burning lungs are threatening to give out. Legs shaking as I push myself over the limit. Shaky breath as the cold wind brushes against my skin. It's been an hour now, but I don't know if I'm safe. Running had been the only option when he busted into my father's penthouse.

I shot down as many guys as possible with the little experience I have. Their blood splashing onto my clothes as they fell onto the floor. The heavy punch to the face I got from one of them, burning from my tears. Should have paid more attention during training. There is only 1 person who can help me now.

3 hours earlier...

I finish curling up my hair for the dinner my father has planned. Honestly, this dinner isn't even important. I look at my face in the mirror. My makeup is perfect. I've never really understood how it could make me look so perfect. My father wants me to marry the son of Dezire. One of the most powerful Mafia lords in the world.

Tall and Handsome, but I've met the guy. He has his eyes set on his "Micetta" which his father has no idea about. Sometimes I wonder If our fathers care more about who we love or a partnership. I think the latter or I wouldn't be in this bathroom curling my hair for a taken guy.

Everyone in the ballroom downstairs is an enemy in my eyes. They all want one thing. Power! My family is top 10 in this world and everyone is either out for blood or my hand in marriage.

My shoulders tighten as a thought goes through my mind. Rocco! That one name causes my face to pale. The son of the most powerful gang in this world. Jade Vultures! Son of Raphael Merone. I've never met him face to face but he has been to one of these parties.

I've seen him leaning on a wall while watching people socialize. As if he already knows they only want power. As if he can destroy them with one snap of a finger. The gaze of his eyes are enough to give me nightmares.

I sigh and lean onto the bathroom sink taking one more good look at myself. I'm not ready for this gala, but I need to be. If I don't keep my composure people will think I'm weak. I'm very capable of putting any one of these men down if they try anything though.

A knock sounds at the door. "Are you ready?" Nicole says through the door. I turn around and open it. She eyes me up and down. "You went all out tonight, ma'am." She approves. I frown and turn back towards the mirror.

"What did I tell you about calling me, ma'am. You may work for me but this isn't the 1800's" I tell Nicole while shaking my head. I hate that my staff thinks I'm stuck up enough to let them be formal with me. My staff are like my family, so when they don't treat me normally it gets to me.

"I'm sorry Alessandra. You just look more like my boss now than my best friend." She smiles. Her hand on my shoulder causes me to look at her. "You've got this in the bag! That man won't be able to resist a beautiful woman like you." If only she knew. She causes me to smile though. Nicole is always someone I can count on.

"See there you go! Smile more." She steps back as I move from the sink. "Thank you, Nicole." I pull her into a tight hug. With one last smile, I walk out of the bathroom heading for my destination. The click of my heels makes me feel powerful. The stride in my step and the sway of my hips make me feel confident. Holding my head high I smile.

No matter how scared I get, I'm going to show everyone in that room just how powerful Alessandra Russo is.

Once I walk into the ballroom I spot my father Immediately. Giovanni Russo. The world's most horrible father. As a kid growing up I was raised with the simple thought "Get married." He made me believe that life was only about being a perfect wife.