Chapter 8

"It's a masquerade ball," Bruno says handing Rocco and I a mask. Taking it I examine it. My mask is black with green snakes embedded around the eyes. Its beautiful scales make the snake look realistic. Rocco's mask has the same design. The only difference is that his mask doesn't cover part of his face. The snakes on his mask around the eyes are red.

His mask is more intense than mine. Really matches his look. "Is this the symbol of the mafia you lead?" I ask.

"No. Our symbol is different. The snake symbol is for important members of my family to wear only." Rocco says turning the mask in his hand as he looks down at it.

"So why am I wearing it?" I look up at Bruno.

"You and Rocco will be wearing the same mask because you're going to the ball as a couple. You have to act in love once you enter that building." Bruno says in a serious manner.

"This is an undercover assignment. Think of it as being an FBI agent. No one knows this symbol there except for Rocco. So if you get lost in the crowd it will be easy for him to find you." Renzo finishes.

"No one can know who you are. You and Rocco will be going there as Sofia and Dante." Bruno adds.

It takes me a minute to process all this information. "How am I supposed to act in love with Rocco?" I raise a confused brow.

"Just follow my lead." Rocco wraps a hand around my waist and slowly eases me to his side. "We have to stay like this for half the night. Can you handle that?" He asks.

Anything to get my father back. I'm already begging the enemy to help me. What the harm in acting like I'm in love with him. "I-I can," I whisper as his fingertips move up and down. How will I be able to focus with his hands on me like this?

"Good." He whispers against my head. Looking up at the two men he narrows his eyes. "Anything else you two have to tell her?" Rocco says with a blank expression.

"No. You two are free to leave." Renzo bows in front of me and I smile.

Rocco clears his throat and I look up at him. Why the hell do I constantly do that. He's not looking at me though. He's glaring at Renzo. My body get's pushed closer to his by my waist. Or maybe I imagined it.

"Follow me Zucchero." He removes his hand from my waist and starts walking.

"I would say have fun, but I know you wont." Renzo shrugs. Bruno nudges his side and they start to walk away. My heels clack against the floor as I walk to catch up to Rocco. His strides are long and fast. He has a confidence in his step that says 'You can't fuck with me, I'll break you before you do.'"

He opens a black door that's right next to the front door. This must be his garage. It's confirmed when I walk into the shiny all-white garage. There are about 10 cars in all different colors. Shit! My dad has a few cars, but not this many. Only about 4 compared to his 10.

This is expected with how much power he has. "Which car would you like to take?" He turns towards me and our eyes lock.

Looking towards the shiny black car I point. "That one." Smiling I admire how amazing this car looks.