Chapter 17

Walking down the hallway Rocco looks behind each corner to make sure none of the men are there. Following closely behind me I try to remember all the training my uncle gave me. Even though it was my father's job to train me, he only wanted me to be a perfect marriage partner. While my uncle wanted me capable of taking down a group of men by myself.

"Why couldn't your guards just take them out?" I whisper close to his ear. He turns to look at me with his brows furrowed.

"Have you ever wondered why I don't have security on certain floors of this house?" He questions.

"No. I've never noticed." Tilting my head I turn to look down the hallway we just came down. There isn't any security. How did I not notice?

"Some parts of this building are off-limits. My guards can't get to you in time. The two men snuck into a part of the house with no security." He turns the corner and I follow closely behind him.

"So they are hiding somewhere close then? They know where I am." My heart speeds up. When I faced those guys last time, they chased me into the woods. My feet ended up cut so badly and my father ended up in their hands.

Well, this time not only do I have guns to protect myself. I also have Rocco and his entire building of security to back me up.

Rocco being the strongest I'm sure he won't let me get taken easily.

When we get to the end of the hallway, I jump when I hear four gunshots. "Rocco." Whispering I grab onto his shirt and pull myself close to his body.

"It's okay. Those shots were on another floor." He continues to the stairs and I stay close behind.

Taking a breath I remind myself of how capable I am. Clinging onto my enemy in the heat of the moment isn't something I can do again. He'll have something to hold over my head.

Once he descends the stairs a couple of guards come into view. "Boss!" One whispers holding his gun the opposite way.

"Do you know where that gunshot came from?" Rocco asks.

The guard nods and a frown forms on his face. "We just got word that Bruno got shot in the arm by one of the men. He was heading back to his room for the night and one of the guys tried to take him hostage." The guard looks away from Rocco as fear flashes across his face.

When I look up at Rocco, his face has contorted into anger. Not only is he glaring at the man, but his fists are clenching as if he's going to kill him.

Rocco doesn't say anything more so I look to the guard. "Is he okay? They didn't get them did they?" My eyes roam over everyone.

"Yes, he hurt one man. In the end, they escaped to another part of the house." The guard announces.

"Where is he," Rocco demands.

The guard points to a door. Rocco doesn't hesitate to walk over to the door as I follow behind him. Once we walk in we both gasp as we see Bruno. He has a gun wound to his arm. It's bleeding badly and if he doesn't stop it soon, he'll get an infection.

"Dammit" Rocco quickly walks over to Bruno. "Are you okay?" He questions.

Bruno breathes deeply with his eyes closed. "Yeah. I've been through worse." His voice comes out weak and soft.

Rocco turns to me and grabs me by the shoulders. "Can you help him? We won't be able to get him to the doctor because it's not safe." He begs. I've never seen Rocco so affected by someone before. It's good to know he actually has human emotion.

Nodding I walk over to Bruno. "Yes, I can help him."

"Get her a medkit," Rocco commands one of his guards. Immediately two guards leave the room.