『S1 Chapter 5 ~ King and Queen』

❝ wHaT? A SECOND chapter posted today? Yeah. That's right you beautiful/handsome mfers. The plot thickens, and I was feeling productive with my lil' idea machine. Enjoy the early chapter <3 ❞

╔──────┨۞┠──────╗

When can I see you again? By Owl City
╚──────┨۞┠──────╝

❋・────━【❆】━────・❋

❋・────━【❆】━────・❋

Wizard's Chess. Lovely to play with friends, unless you're one of the pieces.

Ironically, (or maybe completely reasonable, if the board itself knew what it was doing) the open pieces that Severus and I needed to fill in were the King and the Queen. In hindsight to all of the events in my life, this fact was a premonition. But that never could have occurred to us as we got onto the board and braced ourselves for the mind battle to come.

"Alright... with any luck, we won't need to use our Queen. Do you know chess well?"

I clicked my tongue, swaying forward and backward on my heels. "I watched Queen's Gambit once?"

Severus snorted and rubbed the bridge of his nose. That, to me, counted as laughter. That's right. One point for me. Even though this wasn't a game we were playing, I had to reward myself somehow.

"Provide input if you feel you have any. For now, let's begin?" the Potions Master asked me. I nodded, determined. Despite having never seen Severus play. Merlin, let him be a good player.

The game of chess started off in our good graces, but I could tell Severus was sweating already. He was the kind of man that wouldn't lose simply because he couldn't afford to. If we did lose this game, the King would have to die. I was positive that being the King in this situation enlightened him a little on the consequences of his choices.

As everything progressed further, the only real help I could provide was pointing out which pieces were in danger. Sometimes it slipped past his mind or he didn't notice it in the chaos of the board. I didn't blame him, from what I'd learned about chess, it was incredibly strategic and a million things had to be going through his mind at once.

There came a moment where all moves stopped, and the board went silent. Severus had his head in his hands, no doubt his mind running a marathon. "Y/N.." he said softly, regrets consuming him. "We need to use the Queen."