Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Sorry. Sorry."

SKYE'S POV

~MORGUE~

"Agents Page and Plant, FBI." I say to the Doctor as Dean and I hold up our 'badges'. "Agents. What brings you by?" She asks. "We need to see Amber Freer's body." Dena says. "Really? What for?" She asks. "The police report said something clawed through her skull?" I say. "You didn't read the autopsy report that I emailed out this morning?" She asks, questioning us.

"We..we...had, uh, server issues." Dean makes up on the spot as the Doctor walks away, Dean and I following. The Doctor opens one of the freezers and pulls out the slab with what I'm guessing Amber's body on it as she tosses back the sheet from Amber's head.

"When they brought her in, we thought she was attacked by a wolf or something." She says. "Or something." I say under my breathe. "But we were wrong." She says as she picks up a plastic bag from the slab and shows it to us.

"Is that a...." Dean trails off. "It's a press on nail." I say. "Yeah, we found it in her temporal lobe." She says. "Is that even possible?" I ask. "Wait, are you...you saying that she did this to herself?" Dean asks in shock. "Uh-huh. She scratched her brains out. It'd take hours and it'd hurt like hell, but sure...it's possible." The doctor says.

"How?" I ask. "Pick your acronym. OCD, PCP." She shrugs. I pull back the sheet a little further. I look at her right hand which has four press-on nails still attached; the middle finger has nothing. "Phantom itch?" I ask as I put the sheet back over her.

"Yup." She says as she slides the slab back into the freezer, closing the door. "All it takes is someone talking about an itch or thinking about one, even and suddenly you can't stop scratching." She says. "Thanks, doc." I say as I scratch under my collar while Dean scratches his ear.

~JIMMY'S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM~

"Have you noticed any cold spots in the house?" I ask the father. "Uh...no." He says as I see Jimmy sitting on the couch. "Whatcha lookin' for?" His father asks. "Don't know yet." Dean says. "Amber was his babysitter, correct?" I ask. "Yes." He says. "Did he, uh, see anything strange that night?" I ask. "Jimmy, can you come over here for a second?" His father calls over to him. Jimmy get's off the couch and walks over. "Yeah, Dad?" He asks. "Did you see anything weird that night?" His father asks him. "No, sir." Jimmy says to his father. "You sure about that?" Dena asks.

"I...I would tell you if I knew something." He gulps. "I promise. One hundred percent. Cross my heart." He says, quickly. "Well, Jimmy, I, uh...I happen to know you're lying." Deans says. "I'm not." Jimmy glares at him. "We gonna start talking truth, or are you and me gonna have to take a little trip downtown?" Dean says, leaning down to him.

"Okay, okay. Fine." He pouts as he pulls something out of his pocket, to show us.

A packet of itching powder.

~MOTEL ROOM~

"Kid said he put it on his babysitter's hairbrush." I say to Dean as I take a sip of my beer, at the small dinning room table. "Skye, there's no way." Dean says as he paces as we are trying to figure out how any of this adds up or even at least make sense.

"Itching powder made that girl scratch her brains out. It's just ground up maple seeds." I say. "If you have any other theories, I'm open to 'em." He says.

RING!

Dean's cell phone rings. He reaches in to his back pocket and pulls out his phone, answering it. "Yeah?" He says into the phone and after a few seconds have gone by he looks at me. "Yeah, we'll be right there." He says.

~HOSPITAL~

"What happened?" I ask the doctor; who we had met with earlier today. We walk over to her.

"Guy got electrocuted." She says. "Any idea how?" I ask. "Eh, maybe a loose wire or a piece of equipment shorted out. So far, we haven't found anything." She says. "Witnesses?" Dean asks. "Yeah, guy in there...Mr. Stanley." She says.

Dean and I go into the room that the doctor pointed to her. In the room sits Stanley who is looking out the window. "He says he saw it, but he's not making a lick of sense. Senile." She says. "Thanks." I tell her as Dean and I enter the room as the doctor leaves us.

"Um, Mr. Stanley." I say to him. "It was just a joke. I didn't know it would really work." He says. "What would work?" I ask as he looks at me. "All I did was shake his hand." He sniffles as the tears continue to stream down his face as he holds out his hand: he's holding a joy buzzer.

You have got to be kidding me.

~MOTEL~

I put on a pair of goggles and a pair of gloves. I adjust my goggles and pick up the joy buzzer. I look at it for moment, then turn to Dean. "You ready?" I ask him. "Hit it." He says as he puts on his goggles.

I turn back around to were the large uncooked ham that is stacked on two aluminum-foil pans sit on the table in front of me. I hold the joy buzzer over the ham, hesitating a little before pressing it to the ham.

Electricity crackles as steam begins to rise from the ham as it changes color, blackening. I remove the buzzer as the ham sizzles. I turn to Dean as he walks over to me, taking off his goggles as I take off mine. "What the fuck?" I say. "That shit isn't supposed to work." Dean says. "This thing doesn't even have batteries." I say as I take off my gloves.

"So...what? Are...are we looking at cursed objects?" I ask him. "Sounds good." Dean sighs as he cuts off a piece of ham. "Maybe there's a powerful witch in town." He says as he eats a piece of ham. "Is there any link between the, uh, the joy buzzer and the itching powder?" He asks as he chews. "Uh, one was made on China, the other Mexico, but they were both bought from the same store." I say.

"Let's go." He winks at me before cutting off another piece. 

DEAN'S POV

~CONJURARIUM ~

Skye and I walk up and enter the Conjurarium, the door chimes as we walk in. I chuckle as I see a whoopee cushion. "Skye!" I call her over as I pick it up, showing her as I grin. She sighs and shakes her head, turning away. I shrug and catch up with her.

As we reach the counter I set the whoopee cushion on it and look at the display of rubber chickens. I look up as the owner comes out of the back room. "Welcome to the Conjurarium, sanctum of magic and mystery." He says, sarcastically.

"You sold any itching powder or joy buzzers lately?" Skye asks. "Yeah, sweetheart a grand total of one of each. They aren't exactly big-ticket items. Look, you two here to buy something or what?" He smirks. I glare at him as I hand him some cash for the whoopie cushion.

"So, you get many customers?" I ask. "Kids come in. They don't buy much, but they're more than happy to break stuff. These days. All they care about are their iPhones and those kissing -vampire movies. The whole thing makes me just..." He takes a deep breathe, trying to calm himself down. "Angry?" I ask as I put Skye behind me, in case this guy tries anything.

"Yeah. Yeah, I am angry. This shop has been my life for twenty years, and now it's wasting away to nothing." He growls. "Which is why you hate them." I growl. "I suppose." He scoffs. "You wish there was something you could do about it." I raise my eyebrow, questioning him. "Yeah, I guess I do." He shrugs. "So you're taking revenge." I accuse as I slam a rubber chicken off the display, onto the counter.

"With this." I glare as I hold up the joy buzzer and press it to the rubber chicken as the electricity crackles. The owner yelps as he leaps back. "Oh! No!" He gasps in fear as he watches the rubber chicken melt. "Yeah, something tells me this guy is not a powerful witch." Skye whispers to me.

I gulp, stopping and taking a step back. "Sorry. Sorry." I say as Skye grabs my arm, leading us out of the building as fast as we can.