Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Because it had to be you, Sam. It always had to be you."

~IMPALA~

I sit in the passenger seat as Dean drives and Cas is in the back seat. "You okay?" Dean asks Cas but he stays silent. "Look, I'll be the first to tell you that this little crusade of your's Cas, is nuts, but I do know a little something about missing parents." I say to Cas. "What do you mean?" He asks. "I mean there were times when I was looking for my dad when all logic said that he was dead, but I knew in my heart he was still alive. Who cares what some ninja turtle says, Cas, what do you believe?" I ask.

"I believe he's out there." Cas says. "Good. Then go find him." I say. "What abut you two?" He asks. "What about us? I don't know. Honestly. We're good. I can't believe I'm saying that, but we're." I look at Dean as I continue talking. "We're really good." I smile as he smiles back.

"What about your brother Dean?" He asks. "Especially without my brother. I mean, I spent so much time worrying about the son of a bitch. I mean, I've had more fun with you working with Skye and I, even bringing us back to each other. Hell, it's funny, you know, I've been so chained to my family, but now that it's just going to be Skye and I, I'm happy." He says and I smile but on the inside I'm upset...Sam needs us now more than ever...and he's just willing to cut Sam out...just like that?

But I see his smile falter a little..he does miss Sam.

SAM'S POV

~BEDROOM AT BOBBY'S~

"Sam. Sam." I wake up to Jess' voice. I look around, trying to find her and then my eyes land on her, sitting at the end of my bed. I smile and pull her close, starting to kiss down her neck. "So. This is your life now? Think you can just live forever with your head buried in the sand?" I hear her say and I stop, pulling away from her.

"I love you, Jess. God knows how much I miss you, too. But you're wrong. People can change. There is reason for hope." I say to her. "No, Sam. There isn't." She scoffs. "How can you be so sure?" I ask. "Because you freed me." She says as she stands up, morphing into Nick....Lucifer.

"That's right. You know who I am." He chuckles. "Lucifer." I growl, standing up. "You are a hard one to find, Sam. Harder than most humans. I don't suppose you'd tell me where you are?" He scoffs. "What do you want with me?" I ask. "Thanks to you, I walk the earth. I want to give you a gift. I want to give you everything." He smiles.

"I don't want anything from you." I growl at him. "I'm so sorry, San, I, I really am, but Nick here is just an improvisation. Plan B. He can barely contain me without spontaneously combusting." He sighs. "What are you talking about?" I ask. "Why do you think you were in that chapel? You're the one, Sam. You're my vessel. My true vessel." Lucifer says. "No." I shake my head. "Yes." He nods.

"No. That'll never happen." I say. "I'm sorry, but it will. I will find you. And when I do, you will let me in. I'm sure of it." He smirks. "You need my consent." I say. "Of course, I'm an angel." He says. "I will kill myself before letting you in." I chuckle.

"I'll just bring you back." He sighs. "Sam. My heart breaks for you. The weight on your shoulders, what you've done, what you still have to do. It is more than anyone could bear. If there was some other way...but there isn't. I will never lie to you. I will never trick you. But you will say yes to me." He snarls.

"You're wrong." I say. "I'm not. I think I know you better than you know yourself." He smirks. "Why me?" I ask. "Because it had to be you, Sam. It always had to be you." He smiles.