#18- Awkward Family Conversations

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. You're going to see your dad after 14 years of thinking he was dead. Everyone but Adam is able to go. We'll be your support group." He pauses for a couple seconds while I think, "If you want one?".

I pull his body to mine, "Yeah, that'd be great. Thank you." I pull away and go to my dresser, grabbing some pants. "Can you send Chris back in here?" I ask Cole.

"Of course."

He leaves the room and shortly after Chris comes back in. I walk towards him and stop directly in front of him.

"I know you don't remember, but he was the best dad ever" I move to sit on the edge of my bed and Chris follows suit. "We don't know the whole story yet. So will you please come with? Hear what happened directly from him." I plea.

"If it's that important to you, I will. But I'm not promising to be nice to him."

"Okay." I turn and hug Chris the best I can while sitting next to him, "Now go pack your bag."

***

"So where exactly are we going?" I ask Hazel as everyone stand in Cara and I's living room, all bags packed. Adam left to go home and took Cara's brothers home on the way.

"Phoenix, Arizona"

I sigh, not at all knowing how far away that is from here, "Okay". The coldness of my phone screen against my stomach, from my phone being in my waistband, suddenly become prominent. "I'm going to go to my room real quick, I'll be back soon" I announce to the group, "Can you get my ticket?" I ask Chris. He nods his head in response.

I walk off to my room and shut the door behind me, the reality of what I'm debating doing hitting me hard.

Can I really be considering this?

I mean, should I be giving him an organ?

I do agree with what Chris said. But I also think that I should do everything in my power to save his life, not only so that him and I can have a relationship. I also want to give him and Hazel a future, she deserves to have him there, regardless of if I did or not.

I take a deep breath and collect myself, grabbing my phone from my waistband and dialing a number.

"Hello" the other person asks.

"Hey mom, can we talk?"

I explain the whole situation to her and my thought about what I'm feeling.

"So what do I do?" I ask her.

"Do whatever your heart is telling you to do."

"But I don't know what it's telling me to do"

"Honey, I promise when the time comes, you will know"

"Are you sure?" I question, not entirely sure.

"Of course"

"Thank you so much. I love you." I tell her.

"I love you too. Make sure you and your brother stay safe."

"We will. Bye"

"Bye"

I remove the phone from my ear and press the end call button.

I compose myself and leave my room.

"You ready to go?" Cole asks me.

I nod my head and force a smile, "As ready as I'll ever be"

***

We've all settled into our trains seats and have slept into the night.

I wake up after a couple of hours, my mind consumed with racing thoughts. I stare out the window at the passing trees. I shift around in my seat and end up making more noise than I intended to. Across from me Cara stirs before her eyes pop open.