Chapter (50)What types of karma a Sadhak should do for the welfare of people?

(50) What types of karma a Sadhak should do for the welfare of people?

Lord Krishna explains Arjun that every person does his karma and he could not remain aloof from doing karma for a moment. All livings do karma with his physical body. Here we are not considering only physical actions kriya-karma of the body just as to eat food to satisfy hunger and to work for the family, to feed kids and to learn to get knowledge. But ‘Karma’ is considered in Bhagavat Gita in a wider sense. All the mental karma ‘Manasik’ and 'Vachik’ karma, karma through the use of speech or by mind are included in the natural karma because all the actions; either through body or through the mind become the cause of bondage of rebirth.

When we considered our body as our property ,we are full of ‘pride ad ego’. This pride and ego and thoughts of possession makes all our actions ‘Karma’ .As body does all the actions according to the law of nature as eating, sleeping, feelings emotions and feeling hunger and thirst, lust and passion becomes the cause of bondage, As nature is changing every moment, our physical body is also changing every moment from birth to death.

Our ‘soul’ is a part of eternity but as long as it is attached to our body and as long as we want to fulfill our wishes and desires through our body and senses, we do karma to satisfy our needs. And as long as we desire something, we are bound to remain dependent on nature. Human nature depends on intentions and wishes, intentions and wishes depend on human virtues and human virtues depend on nature .Every substance in the nature depends on time, habit, karma and good or bad nature. It means that as long as a person desires anything for the contentment of his physical or mental needs, he remains dependent on nature. A person depends on other persons, woman, son, house, property and many more things. And because of his dependency on those things and relations, he is occupied by them 24*7 and he could not see or follow path of salvation.

Nature is in two types of forms. When nature is active we do our karma with our organs and senses but when nature is inactive during sleep. The process of growth of body is going on as digesting food and circulation of blood, breathing and dreaming through subconscious mind. If a person forcefully has to get up from the deep sleep , he complains about the incomplete sleep which means that the process of sleep is also ongoing procedure through a fixed cycle. Just as we sow seed and it emerges out as a plant through the process or a baby born after a  fixed time, the cycle of nature also passes through a fixed routine of seasons and we see natural disasters, cyclone, earthquake .If we  concentrate ,the experience of the process of nature during meditation could be felt.

Our soul is not a ‘subject’ or a ‘doer’ but because ‘soul’ is connected and attached to the body, soul has to remain dependent on nature and the law of nature as birth, growth and decay. A body grows everyday from birth to childhood, adolescent and youth, old age and the surrender to death. The surprising thing is that Almighty has made arrangement of birth and death on automatic mode of nature’s device. A seed turns to a tree and a baby develops in an adult body. In  all these process a person or any living do nothing and just sees the changes that nature creates in body every moment. But when a person thinks himself as ‘doer’ and feels himself ‘subject’ karta of doing any karma, he gets attached to his body and his karma becomes the cause of bondage of birth and death .That is the reason why Lord Krishna tells Arjun to abandon not only ‘desired karma’ but also ‘pride and ego’ to be free from the bondage of karma.

When a sadhak accepts that all these changes in nature or body are automatic and I am not the doer of anything .I am not the cause of anything and every changes inside the body and outside in the  atmosphere are due to the changes of five elements. YATHA BRAHMANDE TATHA PINDE means five elements exists in the body as well as in the universe of nature, he could make himself free from all the wishes, desires, attachments and ego. And when he could make himself free from all the desires and ego, wishes and attachments, he would be independent. He would be no longer depends on any inside changes of body or outside changes in the situations and could be Sthitapragna in the real sense.

Prajapati Yoga darshan states that the process of changing which remains constant and continuous during awakening of body and even during sleep has to face ‘consequences’ of ‘karma of changing’. When a sadhak accepts ‘consequences as natural in the beginning of his meditation, he could awaken his soul to the great height of attainment of salvation. A sadhak could feel freedom of his soul from the body and enjoy ecstasy of feeling of a part of eternity.

In Bhakti Yoga a devotee attains the unification with eternity ‘naturally’. SAHAJAVSTHA hence he does not depend on any kriya-karma. And he never depends on consequences of his karma or the position and process of upliftment of a soul to attain ‘Sarupya Mukti’ or ‘Sayujya Mukti’. Hence ‘kriya-karma is related with ‘nature’(body) and not with the ‘form’(Soul). Hence a person has to do karma as he depends on nature but to remain aloof from karma is ‘yoga’ and yoga means to remain free from desire, attachment, jealousy and envy.

        Now, let’s understand …can we remain free from not doing any karma from Lord Krishna.