Chapter(102) How could we find out hidden destructive desires?

(102

How could we find out hidden desire, a root cause of all sinful activities though it is inbuilt and lives within us?

Yasmadvighna parampara vidhatate dasyam sura: kurvate

Kam; shamyati damyatindriyagana; kalyanmutsarpati I

Unmibhanti mahadyrya: kalayati dwansam cha yatkarmanam

Swadhinam tridivam karoti cha shivam shladhyam tapastpytam II

        Our Subhashitani says that we have to do those karma through which we could demolish obstacles in our traditions. God would become our slaves. Our desire could be subside in peace. Our senses could be controlled .Our welfare would come to us automatically. Eternal wealth comes to us and our cycle of karma would be destroyed. We could have controlled even heaven and our karma would be appreciated by all and they would be for the welfare of all the livings and world. Because life with the family in Gruhasthashram is not proper for a Sadhak, he should go in solitude. But nobody could abandon Sansar as nobody could abandon desires and attachment to things and relations. If a person could abandon desire, he could live happily and everything would be done for the welfare of others through his body, mind and intellect but a person's desires of accumulating everything and desires of possessing control over things and people would not leave him till his death. A person desires to do karma to accumulate things even on the deathbed and this attachment becomes the cause of his rebirth.

        When a person desires perishable non living  things ,he fascinated towards those things and his hidden and suppressed consciousness give priority to the entertainment of senses. Our senses invite us in entertainment of things through them; just as all the animals and birds entertain their senses by eating, sleeping, smelling and enjoying sexual intercourse but a human being is a more advances version of God's creation and wants to accumulate them for future to enjoy them permanently. Hence a person desires things and perishable luxurious goods to entertain his senses and then he desires money to get everything he desires. When he gets money, he wants to store them not only for himself but for his beloveds and kids in future and forget that God has created all the resources only to consume equally for the survival and existence on the earth among all the livings but this  greed of accumulating things lead him to downfall in his life. As and when he starts accumulating wealth and counting money to make his treasure full of wealth, he drags himself in cheating others, accumulating wealth through corruption, speaking lies, doing theft and all kinds of sinful activities. When he can accumulate wealth and become rich and prosperous ,pride and ego overpowers him. This pride and ego is called by Lord Shri Krishna as AASURI SAMPATI 'Treasure of devil' which leads a person to all the sinful activities forbidden by Shastras.

Lord shri Krishna explains Arjun that our senses are powerful, strong, widely spread and in minute form overpower us  than our body and our mind is equally powerful and strong than our senses. Our intellect is more powerful and strong than our mind but our desires are the strongest among all our body and senses, mind and intellect. Hence we have to control not only our body and senses, mind and intellect but desires. It means that we know and enjoy perishable things with our senses; perishable things do not know our senses. Our senses can live without perishable things but perishable things could not establish their existence and authority on our senses through their power. All the perishable things of the world cannot attract our senses; our senses are attracted towards them on their own. Our senses remain the same but subjects of choice and selection, perishable things to entertain our senses are changing continuously. All the perishable things are of no value in terms of strength because our senses are enough powerful to attract them.

In the same way our senses do not understand our mind and its complex thinking process but mind knows our senses very well. Every organ and sense know limited subjects as ears knows the sound and words but could not understand taste, smell, touch or beauty of the nature. Eyes enjoy beauty but could not understand the smell, Touch, sound and taste of food. Tongue knows the taste of food but unaware of sound, touch , smell and beautiful sights . It means that our five senses know only limited subjects but mind knows all the five senses. Hence it is more powerful compared to body and senses.

Again mind does not know intellect, but intellect knows mind very well. Our intellect knows what is the position of our mind? Is our mind enough cool and calm or anxious and upset? Do our senses work properly or not? But our mind does not know. Hence it is convinced that intellect is more powerful than mind. Our intellect knows all the movements of our mind and its decisions and our body and senses with their fascination for the perishable things.

Our Ego is the boss of our intellect. Hence we say 'my intellect', my knowledge'. This 'My' and 'I' show our ego. Ego is the subject and doer of all the karma. Intellect is the object of a sentence. Subject is active and independent while object is passive and inactive. Ego is a sign of stubbornness and desire lives in ego. Our ego is the home of desire. Though desire is passive , it lives with activated ego and it seems that desires drag us to all activities. Our ego wants to satisfy our senses through fulfilling desires. Ego is entertained by the fulfillment of desires through perishable things. Hence BHOKTA,BHOG AND BHOGYA all the three ego, perishable things and desires become one and of the same kind. If we can remain free from ego , we would not desire perishable things to entertain our senses because our soul is pure and it is not enveloped with perishable and constantly changing things. It has no desire of gaining or losing anything. Ego is a part of nature. If we go beyond ego, we could find our self as a part of eternity which is independent, motivator and cause of our birth on this earth. We could find our self as a strong, brightly lit, omnipresent and in the form of nano particle of this universe.

Joy and sorrow is felt by body and senses not by soul. Nature is nonliving and soul is the part of eternal living Almighty but because nature lives with our soul .our body and senses feel joy and sorrow when soul is departed from body and senses, body and senses do not feel anything. Our ego is attached with our body and senses but if it is departed ,it could know eternal truth and could be attached to Almighty and with the knowledge of this eternity desires for perishable things would decline permanently.

Then what should be done to know the real form of desire?

Let's understand from our Lord Shri Krishna....