Chapter 8 - How could we train our mind?

How could we train our mind?          

Clearing concept before we start

King Dhrutarashta asked Sanjay in the first verse about what his sons and Pandu's Sons were doing on the war field? Sanjay had answered his question from second verse to nineteenth verse. Now Sanjay revealed 'Bhagavat Gita's knowledge to Dhrutarastra which was given to Arjun on the war field and shown and heard by Sanjay with the help of 'Gyna Chakshu' (Eyes of knowledge) given by Maharishi Veda Vyas.

When Lord Krishna bugled ,the army of Kauaravas felt sickness, nervousness and fear. The enthusiastic spirit of war was vanished. The hearts of Kauravas were filled with fear. Though Kauravas were great in numbers having eleven Akshohini Sena (an old measurement of counting numbers) and Pandavas were supported only by seven Akshohini Sena. Why do they felt fear? The person whoever is on the wrong path, following unjust rulers, supporting non-religious deeds of the king cannot face truth and righteous persons. The bravery emerges not from the physical strength of the body it emerges from the powerful mind following the road of truth and religion, honesty and God. Duryodhan was ruling over Hastinapur,in the name of his father King Dhrutarashta but he was unjust and non-religious person. He was greedy, jealous and ambitious person. The soldiers who were in his service did not have love or respect him. They had to be on the side of Duryodhan only because  slaves and servants have no choice of their own and they have to follow the order of the boss or  the king. Just as Rawan was the great king and devotee of Lord Mahadev but when he kidnapped Ram's wife Sita, fear entered in his heart and he looked here and there and came to Sita in disguise of Sadhu. He cunningly cheated Not only Ram and Sita in disguise of Golden deer but his own subconscious mind. So the lesson is we should  not follow the wrong path and we should never support the person who is on the wrong path. Otherwise we have to suffer as great Bhishma and Guru Drona for misusing our power and strength against truth and religion.

Why do we keep a blind eye to the events happening around us? We read every day's news paper without feeling any sense about dowry stricken tortured women, rap cases, theft, terrorism or any mischievous behaviors of mankind to his fellowman or hunting or killing of dumb animals, birds, spoiling environment and polluting our socio-Economic system? Are we insensitive to every event? Don't we feel any responsibilities towards society? Perhaps we do have a sense of responsibility, we do feel bad when someone faces injustice or anything wrong happens to somebody anywhere in the world but we dare not to face and fight against that. We cannot spend time for them from our busy schedules.

When Arjun saw all his beloved relatives, Gurus and brothers on the war field, he felt nervousness. He told Lord Krishna :'my organs are feeling weakness . My Gandiv Dhanushya (bow and arrow) is falling from my hand, My skin is burning, my mind is disturbed, I am trembling with fear and guilt in my heart, my mouth is getting dry and I feel that I cannot stand against or fight against my own people.

Here we saw the difference in the attitude and feeling of Dhruta rastra who said 'my sons and Pandu's sons' and differentiate all children. While Arjun feels oneness with his own brothers and cousins Kauravas and thought about them as 'Swajan',own people. Dhrutarasta is feared out of the doubt of death of his sons and their killing in the war but Arjun is worrying about everybody. His sorrow is because of expected death and killing of his own people on the war field, his own family for the greed of land and power and Kingship of Hastinapur.

When we are happy we are full of joyous mood and joy reflects in our body language with the gestures of face, movements of eyes, hands and legs. While speaking, standing, reading, talking or conversing with anybody. The signs of depression make Arjun's organs weak. He thought that he would be unconscious soon and fell on the war field before the war actually started.

These feelings of Arjun shows his love for own family members and the people of his country. He was thinking about loss of life and property, damage to prosperity of his nation and disastrous conditions of the ladies and children who were going to lose their husbands and fathers' lives as a result of coming war. Eight signs of body language show negative attitude consisting his mouth, hair, hands, skin, mind and the whole body made Arjun doubtful about the positive results of war. He was not feeling enthusiasm about initiating the war affair. When we are not sure about our result of the task given to us, we are worrying about it. It depresses us when we want to start that task. We believe in heavenly positive and negative signs of five elements as thundering, earthquake, screaming and shouting of animals and birds, position of the moon, crossing of cat etc.etc.. And when we saw all these elements showing bad signs we feel confusion and nervousness. The Same things happen with Arjun here. Arjun is describing his feelings of nervousness to Lord Krishna and trying to run away from the war field instead of thinking about killing enemies and winning.

Is it fair to think about leaving the task at the last moment when you are committed to fulfill your task or your duty towards anybody for anything? Anything means  an event, an occasion, a war or a project is a team work and as a part of team or as a team leader you cannot be unreliable person risking success or failure of the whole team because of your emotional feeling towards anybody or anything. Can we justify our escapism in any way?

Let's think it over ...share your views...