Chapter 37 How could a person fall from being Human?

(370 How could a person fall from being Human?

Whenever a person thinks about things, that particular thing creates ‘interest’ in his mind. That thing may be money, land, and entertainment through worldly things, food, woman or anything. A person‘s thoughts about that particular thing creates interest in that thing. That interest creates attachment to those things. That attachment creates desires to possess that thing. And when a person finds any obstacles, interference of anybody or problems in getting that thing or he becomes furious. If he has achieved success in getting that thing, the fear of losing that thing also creates anger and fury in his mind. When Anger envelopes one’s mind, he becomes senseless and he could not think properly. He loses his politeness and loses his mannerism. When his intellect gets corrupted, it destroys his human sense of good or bad and when a person loses his sense of seeing good or bad, the difference between fair and unfair, vices and virtues, He is sure to fall from his high valuable humanity.

When a person cannot concentrate on God, he surely thinks about getting worldly pleasures and getting materialist things under his ownership and possession. Because a person has to choose from two ends. He can choose the right path of God or he can choose the perishable wrong path of achieving success and accumulating land, property and power, enjoying worldly relations and fake woman’s love. When a person thinks about getting love of a beautiful woman, he becomes happy. His thoughts of achieving success or in getting possession and ownership create his ‘interest’ in that relation or thing. He starts liking that thing. His liking turns to love and passion, illusion and delusion of happiness in getting that thing. The thought of getting possession of that desired land, property, woman or friendship and overpowering them gives him joy and pleasure. This process may remain only mental process and he may not be able to enjoy that thing in real life but the attachment to that thing or relation is created.

When a person likes something, he wants to possess that thing. He wants to enjoy the company of that friend or a woman. He wants to enjoy that king ship or ownership as desired or dreamt. This desire becomes his passion and he tries to get them. It may be a lady-love or prosperity or power or position and status in the society. When passion crosses the limits it becomes greed and a little success could not provide entertainment to him. He wants to get it more and more or he wants to get it more and more or he wants to overpower that beloved person totally under his own control.

When any person or adverse situation comes in his way and creates hindrances or obstacles, he becomes furious. Every person nurtures EGO in his mind self-respect, self-esteem in his mind and heart. Every person thinks him as a good person and feels proud for his capabilities, skills, intellect, goodness, caste and relations. Every person thinks that he should be respected by others for his so- called virtues, strength, prosperity, position. Every person thinks that he is a prestigious man and people should honor him but when he finds people behaving adversely to him, he becomes furious. This desire of being appreciated is a RAJAs attitude of mental intentions. The illusion is a TAMAS attitude of mind’s intentions and anger lies between these RAJAS and TAMAS attitudes of mind.

Let’s check our self. Whenever we are angry the root cause is surely ‘Attachment’ ( RAG)to things or to persons. When a person gets furious about untruthful person or criminals, his attachments to truth and justice’ is the cause of anger. When somebody insulted us we get furious because the desire of getting appreciation and respect from that person is hurt and that is the root cause of our anger. When somebody abuses us and we gets angry it means that we want him to honor and praise us. When someone puts any allegation on us and we gets angry, the root cause of anger lies in our EGO and PRIDE.

When we are angry ,we lose our control over our senses and behaves foolishly and senselessly and it is visible to all through our behavior, speech, words and gestures, In real terms all the four vices are the root cause of attachments .They are lust , anger, greed and attachment. When a person loses control over his senses because of physical attraction of sex or lust, he does unfair deeds and becomes characterless. When a person loses his control over senses due to anger, he uses harsh words and hurts his beloved, friends and respectable elders too. His behavior shows disrespect in every possible way while he has lost his temper. When a person loses his control because of greed, he becomes thoughtless and he becomes cheater .He cunningly tries to snatch away other’s property. He forgets everything about fairness and unfairness in his dealings, truth and untruth in his deeds and religion and non-religion in his karma. When a person loses his control over his senses because of love and illusion, he does injustice with other relations. He loses balance between fair and unfair behavior. He becomes blind and selfish and differentiates among his beloved persons and hates other persons. Just as Dhrutarasta uses words MAMKA (my sons) and PANDAVAS (Sons of his younger brother Pandu who was died and now he has to treat all children in the family equally as his own).

The question here arise why when all the four vices lust, greed, love and anger are the causes of attachment, Lord Krishna here talks about only ANGER? When a person lose his control over senses because of his lust, greed or so –called illusive love, he wants to enjoy things and relations but when a person loses his control over senses because of ‘anger’ he tries to harm and hurt the other person. He does unfair deeds to destroy the rival. Hence ‘anger’ is the most destructive attachment of all. When a person is cool and calm, he knows well that he should perform his duties and do good deeds as guided by religion and he tries to do welfare to his own self and welfare to other but when Anger occupies his mind, he forgets all the good saying and sermons of religious books, Shatras and God. This forgetfulness reflects his senses and he becomes manner less and falls from the status of a good person to bad person.

The sequence shown here by Lord Krishna here shows that in no time a good person can turn to a criminal and cruel terrorist, a senseless human being and a destroyer to humanity. What should be done to remain calm and cool? What should be done to prepare our mind to consider our planet as home for all living beings? What should be done to accept that all the resources and beauties of nature, prosperity of culture and love of a woman in the form of mother, wife, sister, daughter or a friend is not only for our selfish possession? Let’s try to understand Lord’s saying…