Presents and Cards

"Inside the box was a thick silver ring."

F/I- First Initial 

Christmas finally rolled around. I woke up in the dorm and looked underneath the tree. I knew no one was going to give me presents-

There were presents? I sat up quickly and rushed over to it. I counted the boxes.

1
2
3
4
5

Five presents and one singular card. It was nice to see that people may actually care about me. 

I picked up the first present and read that it was from the Weasleys. I smiled at the fact that they remembered me. We were close but for some reason, I thought they didn't care. I opened up the square box, tearing the red wrapping paper back. Inside I found a green kneaded sweater with a large F/I on the front. Fred and George told me all about these. Their mom, Molly, would make sweaters for all her children and only a few of their friends. I guess I was one of the favorites even though I've never met her.

I felt special to them. Next, I picked up another one. This one had a card attached to it. I took it off of the blue box and opened it. It was from Amos. 

Dear Y/N,
            You have been like a daughter to me ever since that one summer when my Cedric came running up to me talking quicker than a Zouwus saying, 'I have this friend. Her name is Y/N. Y/N Hartwood. She doesn't really have anywhere to go this summer and it would be great if she could come stay with us. She's really funny. You'll love her.' Even just writing this is bringing back so many memories. 
            You mean so much to me and I'm so happy to have you in my life. I'm proud to say that you're my daughter and I'm proud of you in more ways than one. I'm proud of how you keep your head tall even during the hardest of times. I'm proud of how you stop to help someone but will stand up for yourself. I'm proud of how smart you are and how you handle certain situations.
             I'm so proud of everything you've accomplished and watching you grow in the two years I've known you have been some of the happiest. Thank you for being there when I needed someone desperately. After Cedric, I didn't know what to do but you helped me keep going and I can't thank you enough. Have a wonderful Christmas!

                                              Love, Amos Diggory

Tears escaped my eyes. Not in a sad way but in a happy way. Finally a happy way. Once again, I tore back the wrapping on the box and it revealed a bunch of Chocolate Frogs, Licorice Wands, and Acid Pops. I took all of those out and realized there was something underneath the candy. I was wrapped in wrapping paper. I pulled the brown wrapping paper back. It was a piece of clothing and it was yellow-

And that's when it hit me. It was Cedric's quidditch jersey. I fell back and clasped my hand over my mouth and nose and let out a quiet cry. I went back to the box and let it out of the box. The jersey had been kept in amazing shape. I gingerly placed it on my bed, laying it out making sure it had no wrinkles in it. 

I went back to the presents and picked another one. This one was red as well and the front said it was from Madame Pince. I opened it and it revealed a new book. 'He Flew Like a Madman'. I knew nothing about the book but I opened it to the cover page and Pince had written in it. 

To: Y/N Hartwood
                I thought you might like this book. It's a biography of a Caerphilly Catapults player. I hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas!

I closed the book gratefully and set it by where all the other stuff was. 

Next, I picked up another box and this time it said it was from Dumbledore. Why was he giving me a gift? We hardly ever spoke and I definitely wasn't one of his favorites. 

In the box laid a sheet of parchment that read, 'I know how hard it can be losing a family member so I tried as hard as I could to find a picture of your parents. I only found this though. If you look hard you can see them in the far left corner. I know you've never seen them so it'll be hard to tell. Just wanted to help and hope you have a great Christmas.'

I took the paper off to reveal a picture frame. I held it up and looked into the far left corner. I found two people standing there. It was hard to make out facial features but I could kind of tell what they looked like. I smiled at the thought that Dumbledore put into this and appreciated him for it.

Next was the last present that was there. It was also in red wrapping paper. It was a smaller box this time and there was no address so I had no idea who it was. 

Inside the box was a thick silver ring. No engravings, no markings. Just silver. It was still beautiful nonetheless. I slid it onto my thumb since it was too big to go on any of my other fingers. I searched the box for a card or anything and eventually, I found one. 

Dear Dimwit,

                    Don't get your hopes up. I didn't do this out of the kindness of my heart. I was going to give it to Blaise or Goyle or anyone else but they aren't here and I didn't want it anymore. So yeah.

He didn't sign it or anything but I knew who it was from. I laughed at the short note from him. 

There was one thing left and it was a card. From Harry? 

Dear Y/N,
              I know we don't really talk. We talked at the beginning of the year and it was fun to yell at Umbridge with you. Then we got detention which wasn't fun. Anyway, I just wanted to say your an amazing friend and you're one of the best people we have in the DA. Just wanted to thank you for being there and yeah. Merry Christmas. 

It was short and a little weird that he felt like he needed to send me a card but it was still nice. I looked around at the empty dorm. At how pathetic I looked.

Being alone at Christmas and having five presents. I sighed but wanted to make the best of the situation.