Broken Record

"Don't pull away. Go to it no matter what it is. You won't regret it."

"Here you go, Y/N," Amos said as he set down a bowl of soup on the dark wooden table. It's been a couple of weeks since school got out. The house was quiet and Cedric had not been spoken about since. No one went into his room, no one brought it up. It was too painful.

"Thanks," I said gratefully as I took a sip of the warm soup. The house was always cold even with the fireplace on and the house would creak with the wind. It wasn't a huge house but it wasn't small either.

After dinner, I walked back upstairs to chill out in my room for a while. As I was walking down the hallway I passed the room I always do. Cedric's.

Instead of walking past it like I normally do, I stopped. I was trying to see if I should go in there or not when finally my impulse decided for me.

I twisted the round doorknob and walked through the door of the room to find it exactly how he always kept it just a little dustier. 

I went to sit on his bed and look around at the room Cedric once lived in. It made me sad but happy all at the same time. Then a memory hit me. The letter. I had refused to open it because I had no idea what it was going to be and I didn't want him to be saying goodbye to me because goodbye makes things real and I needed it to be a dream.

I drew in a deep breath and dug around in my jacket pocket for the folded up envelope. When I took it out I traced my fingers across the neat lettering. I missed him so much...

Dear Y/N,

              These games are dangerous and I know I've said I'll be fine but honestly, I have no idea. I have no idea what's going to happen to me, what's going to happen during the maze, what's going to happen to anyone else. I know nothing. It's a dangerous game and anyone has a chance of not making it. I'm writing this letter the night before the maze and it will only reach you if I don't make it back. Someone will find it and give it to you hopefully. So, Y/N, if you're reading this that means something went wrong and I am so sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen I promise. My motivation to survive throughout these games was always you. Never Cho, never my father, although I love them both very much, it was you. I know you need me and I mean that not stupidly. You opened up to me about your family and how it hurt you've never heard anything about them. I know you consider me to be your family and you are mine. Blood doesn't matter to me. Family isn't about having a mother or father. Brother or sister. It's about who you can depend on for everything. Who will help you through your darkest times and pick you up when you fall. Who knows what's best for you even when you can't see it for yourself.
               I'm going to tell you some things that I was going to tell you before whatever incident happened. First, please, please, move on. I need you too. I'm always with you and you have Tracey and Theo who are there for you too. I know they are. 
              Second, start to live a little. I mean that in the nicest way possible. You like to seclude yourself and not go to many school events like Quidditch except for a few games and only go to Hogsmede when you need something. Try going to those. I promise they're worth it. Maybe even try out for the team! 
                And lastly, listen to your gut. I promise it is always right no matter what. That feeling, and you'll know when you feel it, it's like a pull. Don't pull away. Go to it no matter what it is. You won't regret it.
                Now, it's time for me to get to sleep. I've got a big day tomorrow. I hope to see you after the last game and give you a big hug and tell you 'told you so.' I'll be waiting.

                                                                    Love, Cedric Diggory

I clutched the letter into my sweating palms tighter as tears cascading down my cheeks. I knew I shouldn't have read it. The words ringed through my head like a broken record on repeat. I curled up on his bed and sobbed myself to a quiet, dreamless, sleep.