Parley with the Giants

"She must've gone mad when we left."

I stood at the platform waiting for Theo and Tracey to come out of the train. Today marked the first day that Draco and I were going to have to 'hate' each other. It felt weird saying it like that. 

This was going to go one of two ways. Either I'm going to end up laughing and not taking it seriously, making the whole plan fail, or it was going to go well. 

I searched the crowd of people for my two friends. Took a while but I saw them holding hands. They were also looking around probably for me. 

"THEO, TRACEY!" I cupped my hands around my mouth to project the noise. I saw them look up and Theo saw me. He nudged Tracey and they both sprinted towards me. I ran up to them too. Our body came together into a tight group hug filled with laughter. 

"Miss us?"

"You have no idea." I laughed. "Come on, let's get inside." We got on one of the carriages pulled by the skinny horse.

"Those things are nasty." I pointed to the horse driving the carriage. 

"What are?" Tracey asks leaning over to where I was pointing.

"The horses?" I laughed.

"Y/N there are no horses. Nothing is pulling these things." 

"It's right there though. Theo tells me you see them." I exasperated.

"Yeah, no. There's nothing there." Now he was laughing at me.

I shook my head at the two of them. "Quit playing." I slumped back in the seat of my carriage and the two of them burst out laughing.

"She must have gone mad when we left," Theo said to Tracey. 

"I haven't gone mad. You two must've gone blind." I huffed.

Eventually, we arrived at the castle. We stepped inside, thankful to get out of the cold weather. We first headed to the common room so Tracey could unpack what she had brought home.

"Well, did you fall in love again over Christmas break?" My breath hitched by impulse. Then I realized she was just joking about what happened with Adrian. "We don't want any repeats of what happened to Pucey." She scolded jokingly.

"Yeah, no." I chuckled nervously, my heart still beating quickly.

------

It was the first day of school and everyone was outside talking and getting ready to go to their first classes. 

I was walking with Theo and Tracey until someone tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up to see Harry.

"Hey, Har-"

"Hagrid is back. Come on!" My smile grew huge as I took after Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I hadn't seen Hagrid in ages and I really missed him. 

We took off down the hill and started sprinting to Hagrid's cabin as fast as we could.  We stopped quickly when we realized that someone else was in the little house. 

Umbitch.

We crept to the side of the house where there was a window and peeked through it to eavesdrop. 

"I'm ordering you to tell me where you've been." Her high voice said shrilly. 

"I told you. I've been away for me health." He responded nicely.

"Your health?" Umbridge looked at the window where we were stalking making us duck down. 

"Yeah, a bit of fresh air ya know."

"Oh, yes. As gamekeeper, fresh air must be difficult to come by." She said sarcastically. "If I were you, I shouldn't get too used to being back in fact mightn't bother unpacking at all. Ron walked to the side of the house as Umbridge came out. I grabbed his robes and dragged him back behind the house so she didn't catch us. 

Hagrid let us into his house and gave us big hugs.

"There they are! My favorite Gryffindors and my favorite Slytherin." He said proudly as he gestured us to take a seat.

"So where have you been, Hagrid?" I asked curiously. He goes on to tell us that Dumbledore sent him to recruit some giants for a battle. I didn't know what he meant by that but he also said that Voldemort was also recruiting them so it was difficult. 

"Go on you have it. Dopey dog." He says as he throws fang the large slab of meat he had. Fang started to bark at seemingly nothing as thunder rumbled outside. 

We walked to a window of the house and peered outside. 

"It's changin' out there. Just like last time. There's a storm coming, Harry. We'd all best be ready when she does." He says. The four of us look at each other exchanging strange glances of confusion.