The One Click

"You want to put a bird in there?? What if it dies?"

It had been a few days and still no word about Dumbledore drinking the poison. We couldn't do anything except wait and see what happens. 

Draco and I were walking around the empty halls after school just spending what decent time we had together which wasn't often. We were either planning someone's death or having to keep up reputations. 

"There's no way you actually did that," I said with a laugh.

He nodded his head with a smile. "Quite often actually." 

"Reall-"

"NO! MY WON-WON!" A female's voice tore down the hallway. I grabbed Draco's robes and moved him to the side to avoid getting trampled by the love-sick Lavender. She sprinted down the hallways, her wails echoing around the place. 

Draco and I exchanged worried glances before running after her as quietly as possible. She ended up at the infirmary. We hid around the door to eavesdrop on what was going on. I pressed my ear as close as I could to the entrance. 

"Don't make me laugh. You haven't spoken in weeks." I hear Lavender say from the inside. "I supposed you want to make up with him now that he's all interesting." 

"He's been poisoned, you daft dimbo!" My heart falls as I snap my head behind me to Draco to see if she heard it. His expression told me he did. "And for the record, I've always found him interesting." The two girls bicker back and forth for a while and I stop paying attention to it. I back away from the door.

"We- we should go," I said earning a nod from him. 

"Let's make a stop to the cabinet. We need to work on it plus this day can't get much worse." I agreed and we started to walk up the long spiral staircase to the room. Once we made it to the top, we walked along the draft hallway trying to find something to put in the cabinet. 

"This," I said as we approached a bird's cage. 

"You want to put a bird in there??" He asked shocked. "What if it dies?"

I stood in silence thinking over the choice. The more I thought about it the crueler and crueler it seemed. "You're right-"

"No, maybe I'm not." He said as he reached up and unlocked the round cage grabbing a bird from it. 

We continued to walk on through the halls and through the opening of the door. I made sure it closed all the way and that no one was coming through to follow us. I heard the sheet of the cabinet fall off of it telling me Draco was already there. 

I made my way through the maze of lost objects over to him. We looked at each other, fear in both of our eyes and we nodded towards each other. He let the white bird into the opening and I shut the door.

Once we heard it click once we knew it was time to reopen it. I took a deep breath as I hesitantly opened the door once more. It was empty.

I knew we should have been happy that it was working but I feared for the bird even though it was my idea in the first place. We waited and waited and waited in silence. And not the good kind. This silence was tense as if something were coming to kill us this very moment. 

Then we heard it. The one click. I reached for the door to open it but I just couldn't so Draco did. When the door swung open his face fell and he took a step back. His eyes had started to tear up and I knew what had happened. The bird had died. And it was our fault. 

Draco walked until his back hit a pile of rubbish and he slumped against it. His head buried in his knees as he just sat there and sobbed. 

I walked up to where he sat and I wrapped my arms around him letting him lean against me.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered to him.