The Shadows

"Why do you doubt us, Severus?"

"We've got to do this fast," Draco told me as we got off the train again. Back home. Sneaking around in a dress and a fur coat isn't exactly practical.

We got out of the main crowd and waiting for them to pass before we snuck our way down the trail to get to Hogsmeade. Snape already knew what we were doing so he was going to cover for us. 

We slipped between the shadows of the trees so we weren't spotted. "There she is," I said as we came across a person walking along the gravel trail. "This is too easy," I said in disbelief.

Draco drew his wand before I could. "Imperius." He whispered. She looked like she stopped in tracks and let the magic engulf her. We finally walked out of the shadows after checking around to make sure there was no one else. 

I took the mead out of where it was in my large coat pocket. I gave it to her and she took it. "Let this find it's way to Slughorn to give to Dumbledore."

She nodded before looking cheery and heading to the castle. Guilt washed through me. I stood there, still, even after she had passed us. 

"You alright, love?" Draco asked from beside me. 

"Yeah," I responded. "Let's go before Potters on our trail again," I said hoping it sounded like a joke to lighten the mood. He nodded and took my hand. Our fingers intertwined as we walked through the dark, blending in with the shadows once more. 

-----

We made our way to the castle and went through and entrance Snape told us too so he could walk us to the common rooms without raising suspicions. 

"Did you do it?" His monotone voice shuddered throughout the dark room as he lit a candle. 

"Yeah, we did," Draco said.

"Why do you doubt us, Severus?" I said his name through gridded teeth. I had been calling his Severus at the Manor at Death Eater meetings so I'd use it now. 

He huffed before pushing him off the chair he was sitting on. He started walking towards the door and we did the same, following him up and down hallways and stairways until we finally made it to the common room. 

"Get some rest. We'll see if it's done in the morning." We nodded, said the password, and walked through the door to the common room.  

'We'll see if it's done in the morning.' spun through my head like a worm. It made the plot to assassinate him more mysterious and more illegal. It hurt to know that the man might be dying right now. Because of us. 

"Goodnight, get some rest," I said to Draco. He just smiled at me as we parted ways and headed to our dorms to get some sleep.

I opened the large creaky door to the room when I heard a voice speak out of the dim light. 

"Bloody hell, Y/N. Where have you been? It's way past curfew and I haven't seen you at all. Couldn't find you on the train either. Wh-"

"I'm fine." I laughed. "Just had some potions stuff I needed to do."

"Already?"

"Yeah. For some reason, Snape thinks it's nice to give me piles of books and even more work." I lied.

"Ahh. Well, that settles that." I heard her sheets shuffle and I knew she had settled into her bed. 

"Night Y/N."

"Night Tracey."