Not Like This

"I could've let Y/N do it."

(3rd Person POV of Theo and Tracey)

They stood in the cold hall. Their backs straight, their head up. But the good posture couldn't hide the fact that they were tired. The pain in their eyes. The slash across Theo's right cheek from punishment. The shaky hands Tracey had developed. But above all, they had lost their best friend. 

News spiraled through the school the day after they saw Professor Dumbledores' body lying lifeless on the concrete of the courtyard. That was the day they lost her. 

"Did you hear what your friend did?" Pansy would say. "What a monster!"

"Draco did the same." Theo would respond. Then she would walk away. Defenseless. The worst part about the rumors is that deep down they both knew that they were more than rumors. They were the trust. It would explain the distance Y/N had given them. It would explain it all. 

The couple talked about it everyday. Tracey would send her letters and send them off. But the note would only return. She never got a response. When Snape took over as Headmaster, Tracey gave up. 

First, Y/N was only supposed to be gone for the rest of the year. But then she never returned. Tracey beat herself up, pulling at her hair. Picking at her nails. Theo fell apart. Sobbing himself to sleep, not eating. They hadn't realized how much they needed her. The three of them were happy. The three of them helped each other. And even though Theo and Tracey had each other, they still wanted Y/N back. 

Blaise had become closer to the lost duo. He would sit with them at lunch on occasions, talk with them in classes. He never talked about Y/N either, which was nice, even though they knew Blaise was her friend as well. 

"Friends come and go." Was always McGonnagals response whenever Theo and Tracey went to her. 

"Not like this." They would say. Over and over. Not like this. 

But it didn't matter. "Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you at this hour," Snape said cooly. It was true, they were supposed to be asleep. "It's come to my attention that, earlier this evening... Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade." The room shifted uncomfortably as Tracey looked at Theo. He looked back, scared. But a glint of hope was in there too. 

"Now... should anyone... student or staff attempt to aid Mr. Potter they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events who fails to come forward will be treated as equally guilty." The room lapsed into silence as the students stood in the proper formation. 

"Now then," Snaped continued. "If anyone here has any knowledge of Mr. Potter's movements this evening, I invited them to step forward... now." His stare was awful as he glared directly at Tracey. She looked at him then back down at her feet quickly, her brown hair falling back over her face as he walked on.

Then footsteps came behind them. Everyone gasped and murmured as Harry Potter came out of the crowd.

"It seems, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster."

Every perfectly even square of students broke apart to witness what was happening. Theo grabbed Tracey's hand and squeezed it. "And I'm afraid it's quite extensive." The main door opened letting more people into the building. A smile tugged at Tracey's lips. Maybe things would be changing for the better. 

Then Harry turned back to Snape. "How dare you stand where he stood?" His voice broke at the end like he was fighting back tears. "Tell them how it happened that night!" 

Students backed away from the bickering duo. "Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you and killed him! Tell them." 

"I could've let Y/N do it." He said lowly as he dragged his wand out and pointed it at the boy. Theo pushed Tracey back out of instinct but continued to watch what was going on. McGonnogal Was now standing protectively in front of Harry, her wand drawn as well. 

She started firing spells at him, making him block it with a silvery shield. He backed up as a mix of fear and frustration flushed his face and tugged at his wand. His spells became sloppy and he knew he had to leave. He skipped up the stairs before turning into a strange sting of smoke, and flying out of the window, shattering the colored glass. 

"COWARD!" McGonnogal yelled after him. 

Theo and Tracey jumped up and down, cheering. They pulled each other into a hug.

"He's gone," Theo whispered into Tracey's shoulder. "He's gone." But right as things looked good... 

'Harry.' A hushed voice swept through the room chilling it even more. Tracey thought it was just in her head so she pushed it off. But soon everyone could hear the quiet, indistinct murmuring. Then a scream. 

Tracey jumped back into Theo, trying to cover her ears. Then Tracey burst out into an inhuman scream. It pierced the air. For a moment Theo backed up but he quickly came back to try and get her to stop screaming. 

'I know that many of you will want to fight.' The voice started, louder than ever. 'Some of you may even think that to fight is wise. But this is a folly.'

The sound made Theo want to crawl from his skin. Make him want to throw-up. 

'Give me Harry Potter.' The voice snapped. 'Do this and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched.'

Everyone had hands over their ears trying to escape the strange itch in their brain. 'Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded you have one hour.'

Then it was gone. Tracey was on the ground, recovering from whatever took over her. Her eyes were glossy as her fingers shook. 

"Hey," Theo soothed, reaching her level. "We'll be alright." 

The normal warm lighting returned to the room and everyone stared at Harry, the same question flooding from one person to the next. What do we do now?

"What are you waiting for?" Pansy said, not far from where Theo and Tracey were. "Someone grab him!" She pointed at Harry but it was Ginny's turn to stand in front of him. People from every house started to crowd around Harry, proving they were going to protect him. 

Then the voice that used to give Theo a heart attack, grew loud. "Students out of bed! Students out of bed. Students in the corridor!" Filch repeated, running into the large room.

"They are supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!" McGonnogal rolled her eyes at him. Filch shrunk his shoulders. 

"Oh," He said. His cat giving everyone the same 'piss off' look it always did. "Sorry, ma'am."

"As it happens, Mr. Filch, your arrival is most opportune." She said striding forward. Theo had an arm wrapped around Tracey, trying to help her. "If you would, I would like you, please, to lead Miss. Parkinson and the rest of Slytherin house from the hall." Theo's heart fell.

"Exactly where is it I'll be leading 'em to, ma'am?"

"The dungeons would do." Cheers and applause from every other house made Theo look around. We're they that teamed up against? He thought when people called Slytherins 'evil' they were joking, or leaning into the stereotype. He didn't know they really felt that. But I guess people really thought they were all murderers and death eaters.