I Shall Not Misbehave

"Why do you care so much about what people think?"

Umbridge had taken over Dumbledore's position as Headmaster and everything was going to hell. Couldn't get much worse than this. Everyone in the DA had been sentenced to a couple weeks of detention. 

She had taken down all the pictures on the grand staircase, made stupid rules, and made her quills standard punishment. 

So here we were. Sitting in the Great Hall writing with her quills letting it etch into our skin. 

I shall not misbehave 

Was the one she told me to write. I sat in front of the twins and slowly wrote the letters out. As it carved itself into my skin once more the pain exploded from everywhere. 

This had to be abuse of some kind, right? 

Everyone was instructed to set their quills down once we were done and so we did. I set my down, tempted to snap it in half, and throw it on the floor but that would only get me more detention and more scars. 

Umbridge stood up from her 'throne' once she noticed that everyone's quills were laid down. 

"Excellent!" She said cheerfully, clasping her hands together. "Now remember to behave and have a wonderful evening." Her kindness was obviously fake no matter how hard she tried to make it real. 

Everyone got up with another layer of hatred for the woman. Fred and George put one arm around my shoulder each as we walked out of the hall. 

"You ok there, Hartwood?" Fred asked. 

"You look a little shaken up," George added. 

I just nodded my head, covering my hand with the scar. I needed to go to the tree and see if Draco was there. I needed to talk to him. We hadn't spoken since when they found us in the room of requirement. 

I left the twins and headed down the hill then the field like I'd done so many times. I was right. He was there. I could see he lifted his head from where he was reading but put his focus right back to it. 

"Hey," I said as I approached. He just made a noise in his throat to acknowledge me. "Look about the whole Dumbledore's Army thing-"

"It's fine." He slammed his book shut and threw it to the grass. "Why didn't you tell me?" He asked looking me dead in the eye as I sat down in front of him. 

"I don't know. Just thought you would do exactly what you ended up doing." My tone was a bit harsher than I meant it to be.

"And what's that?" 

"Told Umbridge. And now Dumbledore's gone and we're stuck with her!" I took a deep breath and looked into his eyes full of hurt. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell it's just..." I trailed off not knowing where I was going with it. Then I remembered. 

"Why do you care so much about what people think?" I finally asked.

"I don't." He said blandly, not meeting my eyes. 

I kept looking at him in hopes he would look at me. "You obviously do. Otherwise, I know for sure that you wouldn't do half the things you've done." Finally, he looked at me again but he didn't say anything. "You know you can tell me, right?"

"Yeah," He choked on his words trying to get them out. "I just don't want you to know just yet." I understood that part so I didn't push any further. 

I nodded my head in understanding. "Well, I'm going to go back up to the castle before the rain starts pouring on us again." I laughed a little causing him to look down and smile at the memory. 

I turned to walk back up to the castle leaving him there with his thoughts like Tracey did to me earlier this year. 

I walked back up and walked through the concrete courtyard when I heard something come from one of the coverings. 

I squinted my eyes and walked closer to whoever or whatever it was. I saw three figures huddled around a bench. As I got closer the faces came into view. I saw Fred and George next to a small Gryffindor boy making quiet sniffles. 

Fred saw me first and weakly smiled as I approached. George was on the bench next to the boys and Fred was kneeling at his side. I knelt down in front of the boy and gave Fred and George questioning looks. They motioned their heads to his hand. 

It all made sense. 

"What's your name?" I ask in a soft whisper as the thunder broke the quiet. 

"Michael." The boy said kindly through sobs.

"Your hand's gonna be fine, Michael," George said calmingly. 

"Yeah. It's-it's not as bad as it seems." Fred adds to it. 

"See? it's fading away already." I say as I pick up his hand to show him. 

The mood of the moment really put into view how awful the school had gotten. After a moment of trying to calm the small boy down, I saw Harry approach out of the corner of my eye. I smiled at him much like the way Fred had just done to me. 

Someone clears their throat to my left and I knew that noise from anywhere. I turn my head anyway to see my thoughts had been right. Umbridge.

"As I've told you once before Mr. Potter. Naughty children deserve to be punished." She says seriously. Well as serious as she can get. I stood beside George glaring the woman as she left. 

"You know, George, I've always felt our futures lay outside the world of academic achievement."

"Fred, I've been thinking exactly the same thing."

With those two sentences, I knew they were planning something. And whatever it was. I wanted in.