Waltzing

"Hey dimwit, try not to step on all Theo's toes."

Every Slytherin sat in a big classroom while Filch got the giant phonograph working. McGonagall stood in front of the room. No one had any idea why we were here. All we knew is that every house was getting this lecture. Slytherin's went first and next Gryffindor's and so on. 

The professor clasped her hands together three times silencing the room. The room was separated from boys and girls.

"This can't be good," I whispered to Tracey on my right.

"Nope." 

"The Yule Ball." The professor continued. Ball?? "It's tradition wherever the Triwizard tournament is. And this year, it's hosted at Hogwarts."

The room filled with a mixture of unsatisfied groans and giggling. I was groaning. I don't know how to dance. I don't do these things. 

She went on a speech about how girls dance like swans and boys have a lion inside them or something. I wasn't really paying attention. I was panicking. How am I supposed to learn how to dance? The balls in like two weeks and I don't have a dress or anything. How the hell do I get a date? There's no way anyone's asking me-

I jolted out of my trance when Tracey slapped the backside of my head telling me to get up like the rest of the class. Every girl was paired up with a boy. I got lucky and was with Theo.

"Thank god I got paired with you." Theo sighed making me laugh.

"Yeah. Bet some of these people are happy they got paired with their crush." I added as Theo started to walk me through what to do. He placed one of his arms on my waist as I put one over his shoulder awkwardly. Our other hands were placed together as we started to dance slowly to the waltz sounding throughout the room.

"Hey dimwit, try not to step on all Theo's toes." Draco passed by waltzing with Pansy. Bet she's happy. I could tell in her eyes since they were gazing into his. His were not gazing into hers though.

"Rot in hell, Malfoy." I shot back trying not to make a big scene in the middle of class.

Pansy started cackling. "That the best you got, Hartwood?" She said with a smirk.

"Ignore them," Theo whispered to me, spinning me around so I wasn't facing them anymore. I shut my eyes trying to get them out of my head.

By the end of the class, I had started to get the hang of things. I was waltzing freely and wasn't stepping on Theo's toes anymore. I still tripped over my own feet sometimes but caught myself every time. We had to bow to each other at the end and I couldn't keep a straight face.

"Class dismissed! The ball is in two weeks so prepare accordingly. Boys, I suggest you start asking girls to the ball." She hinted to them as everyone grabbed their stuff and headed out of the room. As Tracey and I passed some people we could hear people already asking people to the ball. That'll be interesting.

---

I walked out of the common room in my uniform. I don't know where Tracey went. She must've gotten up early for some reason. I headed to my first class when I saw Tracey standing in the middle of the hallway her back faced to me.

"Hey, Tracey," I said as I approached her from behind. She turned around slowly with a huge smile on her face. "Woah, why do you look like that." I laughed at her expression before she started to jump around, adding to my confusion.

"I got asked to the ball!" She said happily.

"Umm WHO?!" I said happy for her.

"Anthony Goldstein! He's a Ravenclaw." Her smile was huge and I gave her a big hug.

"I'm so happy for you Tracey," I said genuinely. 

"Ok ok. But now we need to find someone for you." I let out a laugh as the two of us started to walk to class.

"I really don't think that's going to happen honestly." 

----------------

Tracey, Theo, and I were sitting below a tree in the courtyard doing homework and practicing spells.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?" I heard a voice behind me ask. I stood up and brushed myself off.

"Yeah sure, Blaise," I said as I followed him over to a bench.

"So, I was wondering if you want to go to the ball with me." He said and he immediately shut his eyes in regret. "Let me- let me explain. So, I have a crush but she's kind of going with someone else and neither of them particularly like you so-"

"So, you want to use me to make them jealous," I said with a laugh.

"I understand if you don't want to, I get it's kind of mean I just-"

"I'd love too. No ones going to ask me for real so might as well be helpful." I smiled at him and he let out a breath I didn't realize he was holding in. He muttered multiple thank you's before we both went different directions.

"Wait, Blaise," I said before he was too far away. "If I'm going to be your stand-in date, I deserve to know who I'm pissing off." He smirked at me.

"Pansy Parkinson and Draco Malfoy." A smile formed on my lips.

"I'll do anything to piss those two off. But seriously? Pug-Face?" 

"Hey, you're the stand-in. You don't get an opinion." He teased before turning around again. I put my arms up in defeat as I walked back laughing to myself.

"What did Blaise want?" Tracey looked at me suspiciously as I sat back down.

"He asked me to the ball and I said yes," I said nonchalantly. 

"YOU WHAT?" Theo and Tracey said simultaneously. I chuckled a little bit under my breath.

"Oh chill out. You two have dates why can't I have one." I huffed dramatically. They rolled their eyes as we picked up our homework again.

--------

"Ok, but why Blaise." Tracey continued as she sat on the velvet green sheets of her bed. "I vividly remember a couple of days ago you said you weren't going to get a date. What happened to that?"

"First off, he's technically not my date. I'm doing it to piss two people off. And I'm going to enjoy it." I said with a smile. I get to piss Pansy AND Draco off with permission. 

"Who?"

"Draco and Pansy."

"Oh god. That's going to end well." She said sarcastically. 

"Who knows? It might turn out better than anyone expects."

After a bit of going back and forth on the subject of whether it's a good idea or not, I convinced her it was.

"Now how are we going to get dresses? Cause I sure as hell don't have any." I sighed slumping further into my pillows.

"I know most people are going to Hogsmede tomorrow to get their suits and gowns. We could go as well." She wasn't wrong and it wasn't that bad of an idea.

"Ok. But that doesn't change the fact I'm still broke." 

"Meh, we'll figure something out," Tracey said. After she stopped talking an owl flew threw the open window and dropping a letter in my lap before leaving again.

I carefully opened it and it read:

            Dear Miss. Hartwood,

                            I have something for you in my office from your parents. Since it's past curfew you can come to visit me tomorrow before you head out to Hogsmeade. Have a wonderful night.

                                                                                                                         Sincerely, Albus Dumbledore

I almost teared up at the mention of my parents. I never knew them but the fact that they had something for me gave me hope beyond anything. The hope of what? I wasn't sure. But hope all the same.