Questioning Authority

"I rolled my black robes up revealing the scar and jumble of words."

After school the next day I had detention again. The scar on my hand was still visible from the other times I was sent there. I dreaded it with my entire soul. 

I lightly knocked on the door letting a soft voice tell me to enter. I did so and sat down at the desk I always did.

"You know the rules, Hartwood." The lady said kindly. Sometimes I felt as though I was the only one who could see past the bright pink and sugar. I sighed as she laid down parchment and a quill in front of me. 

"What shall I-"

"I must not sneak out past curfew." She interrupted my question with a giggle. "Well, go on." She said and I picked up the quill once more.

---

I ran my thumb across my torn up skin. The words were hardly elligable because of how many sentences there were. 

I shall always pay attention in class
I must not sneak out past curfew
I must wear the appropriate uniform attire
I must not speak out in class

Those were only the ones I could read. Many others were still engraved but there were so many I've forgotten most of them. It was getting worse by the day and I now knew what had to happen. I needed to tell McGonnagal.

Then I remembered Peeves already did. But maybe he was just kidding?

I broke into a faster pace walk to McGonnagal's office. I wanted to get there before dinner so I could meet up with Theo and Tracey. I've felt like I've drifted a little from them and I didn't need that. 

"Proffesor McGonnagal?" I asked kindly as I entered her office. Her cat was sitting on her desk and right before my eyes she shifted into the professor. Didn't know it did that...

"Yes, dear?" She asked as she straightened her pointy hat and black and green robes. 

"I know Peeves might have already told you but I figured I'd tell you again..." I said quickly. I took a deep inhale and continued. "Proffesor Umbridge has been handing out detentions like candy and her ways of discipline are completely unfair! At least to me. I don't know if it's happening to anyone else." My voice trailed off and my face was a bright red color due to anger.

"Peeves has not mention this." She tsked three times before speaking. "What has been going on?"

I rolled my black robes up revealing the scar and jumble of words. I could tell McGonnagal was not expecting it to be this severe. She grabbed my hand quickly to examine it further. 

"My poor child." She whispered soothingly. "Come with me." Her voice was roughly this time and she pulled me by the arm down the long halls. 

"Where are we going?" I asked as her pace never slowed. 

"To have a little talk to Professor Umbridge." I could tell she did not like this woman very much. Neither did I.

We approached the great hall and I could hear the people inside eating dinner. I guess it started already. I pushed the thought aside as McGonnagal shouted words to Umbridge making her turn around to meet us. 

She let go of my arm and I stayed behind a little bit.

"Pardon me, Professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" Umbridge shot back as they started to walk up the stairs. Those were the stairs I came down during the yule ball. I smiled at the memory but snapped back to reality. 

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices." I heard shuffling behind me and saw students start to come out of the great hall to see what was going on. I stayed at the bottom of the stairs and my breath hitched. Harry gave me a look that said, 'I'm so sorry.' I gave a weak nod back.

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom. Minvera," She finishes taking a step up the stone stairs to be taller than her. I noticed slytherings start to come out too.

Pansy, then Crabbe, then Draco. The embarassment rose at the sight of him. I was the cause of this fight and he was never going to let me forget it. 

"Not at all, Delores." McGonnagal shot back taking a step up to match Umbridges height. "Merley your medivel methods."

"I... am sorry, dear. But to question my practices is to question the Ministry, and by extension, the Minster himself. I am a tolerant woman, but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty." I was holding in so much anger towards her and it was taking a lot of me not to yell at her but I figured Professor McGonnagal had it covered.

"Disloyalty," McGonnagal scoffed as she stepped down, her face full of shock.

"Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action." She look at me with fire in her eyes knowing that I snitched. 

She storms off leaving everyone whispering to eachother. "Continue eating dinner, students." McGonnagal said after clearing her throat. Everyone shuffled back into the room and suddenly I had lost my appetite. 

I turned left and ran out into one of the courtyard before running back down to the lake. Down to the tree.