Wakefields Off the Record Glow in the Dark Gum

We walked down the old stone staircase back to the common room once again. I was excited to feel the warmth of the place once again. But as we walked I couldn't help but notice peoples whispers and stares. Even Theo and Tracey seemed quieter than usual. Maybe I'm just imagining things. Hopefully. 

We walked through the common room door and a wave of air blew at me. The smell, the feel, the look. It was at home. The lighting was always a bit dim and the shadows seemed to have a green tint as well as the decorations. Outside the window, you could see the black lake. Well under the black lake. Every now and again, if you were lucky, you could see a mermaid swim by.

Tracey and I said goodbye to Theo as we went to find out who our dorm mates were going to be. I was praying it wasn't Pansy or Millicent. Tracey and I always talked our way into getting rooms together thanks to Hagrid.  Hagrid was always nice to me and even called me his 'favorite Slytherin'. The thoughts only raised my concern for the guy.

We opened the door that we had been assigned too. The silver lettering wrote 17 on the front of it. Tracey went first through the single door and when we entered we saw two girls whom I had never met or seen before. When they saw me though, their smiles dropped. They went back to their quiet whispers, sneaking glances at me on occasion suspiciously. Ok, I wasn't imagining things. What the bloody hell was going on. 

I glanced at Tracey but she shot her gaze in a different direction quickly. I brushed it off and decided to talk to her about it later. I found my trunk at the foot of a bed and sat down on the soft mattress and duvet. 

The silence in the room got overwhelming really fast. The two girls, who look as though they could be sisters, were just staring blankly at each other looking uncomfortable and Tracey was acting strangely too. They said I was acting strange? What about everyone else?!

I stood up abruptly and dragged Tracey out of the room, down the stairs, out of the common room, and back out to the courtyard with no explanation. 

"Why is everyone acting like I'm crazy?" I half yelled at her once I came to a halt. 

"No ones acting like your crazy." She mumbles as she rubbed one of her arms shyly. She was avoiding something and she wasn't telling me.

"Please, what is it?" I pleaded. I hated it when something was going on behind my back.

"Look, before you get mad-"

"Just tell me." I breathed out preparing for the worst.

"It's about Cedric. Everyone feels bad for you..." Tracey trailed off her last sentence.

"There's more. Just tell me, Tracey." 

She took a deep breath before letting a shaky one out. "Not everyone believes Vol- you know who is back, but those who do... Think he's after you next." That was not what I was expecting. At all. "Look, I know it's crazy. I didn't really even know people thought this until dinner at the great hall. I heard people talking. It's stupid that people would think that. I know it is, believe me." Her words were pleading hoping I wouldn't be mad at her.

"Tracey, it's fine. People will talk." I smiled softly at her. She gave me a warm embrace before speaking into the hug. "I'm gonna leave you alone now to your thoughts. You need it." She patted my back before turning on her heel to leave. I slumped against a large tree. The memories from it flooded back making me laugh. It was the tree Draco got turned into a ferret in front of. Funniest moment of my life.

"We know what it's like." I heard two voices speak up from behind the tree. Startled, I stood up and walked around the huge trunk of the tree trying to find the voices. I couldn't find them. "You know. To be thought of as crazy." Suddenly two boys with fiery red hair dropped from a tree branch to the ground in front of me. The Weasley twins.

I had seen them around the school and always admired their pranks. They were crazy but in a good way. I, on the other hand, was not.

"See, but you two are the good crazy."

"There's no such things as good and bad crazy. Is there, Georgie?" One of the twins asked the other one.

"Nope. There's just plain old crazy." He responded. I laughed at their attempt to cheer me up. Honestly, it was working quite well. They were funny and the pranks they pulled were always the best. 

"Here." Fred fumbled through the pockets of his brown jacket and pulled out a tin. It was off-white and teal with writing on the front. 

"Good thinking, Fred!" The other one raised a hand for a high five. The high fived each other as Fred handed it to me. I read the lettering.

Wakefields Off the Record Glow in the Dark Gum

"We sell these in our shop but seeing you right now, your needs for it are greater than ours." I smiled as I opened it up and took out a piece of gum. I popped it into my mouth before offering a piece to Fred and George. They each took one thankfully as well. 

The three of us sat down on a bench and started to laugh and get to know each other. They were really fun to be around and I could tell this was a friendship that I was going to enjoy being in.

Our fits of laughter ceased when someone cleared their throats. We all looked up to see who it came from.

"Mrs. Hartwood, mind if I talk to you for a second in my office." Panic shot through me. I didn't even know what I did. I slowly stood up stuffing the tin into my pocket. I turned and waved at the twins before catching up with the headmaster. 

---

"Please, take a seat." He motioned towards the same chair I had sat in last time. The panic rose up to my throat. "I want to talk to you about something." His voice was normal so maybe he wasn't mad. "I know you must have a lot of questions about your parents and what happened exactly. Am I correct?" I nodded slowly wondering how my parents came up.

"Well, with recent events with Mr. Diggory I find it only appropriate to tell you what happened to them. It's only fair to you." My breath hitched in my throat making me croak out a response.

"Yeah, that's fine." 

"Well, first I want to say that your parents are very extraordinary. They were excellent students and I was very distressed to hear what happened to them. You've probably heard about what's happened to Potter's parents, correct?" I nodded once more. "Well, a very similar thing happened with your parents except he didn't try to kill you. For what reason? I have no idea." So Mr. Voldy over here thinks it's cute to go kill everyone's family? If I ever see that slimy bastard I swear to Merlin I'll- I'll kill him. 

I didn't know I was mumbling again until the Headmaster said something. I told him I was fine and would just need time for it to sink in so he said it was alright if I headed back to the common room now.

I left his office and took a slow time walking through the halls dreading going back to the room. My head was glued to my feet and I kicked air as I walked until- BAM.

"I'm sorry. That's my fault." I mumbled to whoever it was. I looked up to see who it was and of course, to my luck, its Malfoy. "I take that back." I scoffed as I moved around him and continued to walk.

"I hope Voldemort comes after you, ya know?" He shouted after me. I ignored him instead of yelling at him and picked up my pace back to the common room. The school starts tomorrow. New schedule and maybe I won't have Malfoy in any of my classes.