Staircase

"You realize we're not exactly friends, right?"

Since everyone had left in the morning I had a whole rest of the day. Then the rest of the two weeks. I don't know how I'm going to get by without dying of boredom. 

Draco was the only one I knew that was staying here and I really didn't want to be spending the time with him. I mean we would probably end up killing each other either way. 

I walked into the great hall to grab some lunch and sat down at the long Slytherin table. I had this warm stew and it felt great given the cold winter weather outside. 

"Mind if I sit?" I lift my head up to see Draco in front of me.

"You want to sit with me? First, you walk with me and now you sit with me. You realize we're not exactly friends, right?" I question him as he takes the seat anyway. 

"Oh, yeah. I know. But I'm not looking to be the outcast of the winter break. I've got a reputation, Hartwood."

"Ahhh so that's what this is about." I nod my head knowing it makes complete sense. He was only talking with me so he didn't seem lonely. 

We ate in silence the rest of the time. "You know, you're a completely different person when you aren't around your friends." I finally spoke through bites. He laughs a little bit looking down at the table.

"No. No I'm not. Who says they're my friends?"

"So they're not your friends?"

"I didn't say that."

"But-" I sighed. "Nevermind." 

After we each finished what we had we headed back to the common room. As we walked down the stairs we hardly said anything making the situation awkward. Then he shoved me to the side a little bit.

"Sorry, didn't see you there, Dimwit." I looked at him knowing exactly what he was doing. I smile crept onto my face and I shook my head. "Oh, come on. It was funny." He exaggerated. 

"You were a dick back then. Not much has changed." I laughed.

"No a lot has changed. Back then did you think we'd be walking down here together joking about that moment?"

"You say that like we're in love or something. We're walking together because Mr. Rich Boy has to big of an ego to be alone for two weeks." He pushes me lightly in annoyance but this time I push back. Suddenly Draco stops, fixes his posture, and stands still. I freak out and do the same out of habit. I see Snape come around the corner of the spiral stair case. 

He eyed the two of us suspiciously. "Good evening." He draws out the words evening in his deep monotone voice. 

"Good evening." We both repeat kindly to the head of the house. Once he walked up the stairs and continued where he was going Draco and I looked at each other and started to laugh. We ran the rest of the way down the stairs. 

We reached the common room and laid down on two of the leather couches in the common room. I stretched out all the way on my couch, Draco doing the same. Maybe the break wouldn't be so bad.