The Snitch

"You think I'm holding her hand for fun, Graham?"

I had gotten changed and rushed out to the field as quickly as I could. I saw people out on the field already. Of course, I'm late. 

I slowed my pace and walked out to the field in my green and silver robes repeating in my head, 'Try to go for those. I promise they're worth it. Maybe even try out for the team.'

The letter Cedric wrote for me was the only source of confidence I had right now. And I was prepared to win this thing. I will get on this team if it's the last thing I do.

"Who are you?" A guy I can only assume is the captain asks, looking up from his board. 

"Oh, uh. My name is Hartwood. Y/N Hartwood." I say as I stand next to someone in the line they had made. I only recognize Crabbe, Goyle, Draco, and Adrian...

The two of us looked at each other but I just glared at him with hatred. The captain started to introduce himself. "My names Graham Montague. You can just call me Graham. Everyone pick up your broom and get in the air. Meet me up there." He halted himself onto his broom and started to fly off into the sky. I had done this a couple of times but only during flying classes with Hooch. I had been pretty ok at flying honestly. To win a spot on this team, however, I needed to be perfect. When I had talked to Fred and George about trying out they said that the Slytherin team was strict and cheated. That part didn't bother me too much but they want a perfect team. I don't know if I'm capable of that.

I knew I had to though. For Cedric. 

I got onto my broom. It wasn't the most expensive broomstick. Actually, it was a hand me down from Fred. It was his old broom and he was nice enough to give it to me. 

My feet were rested on the ground so I bent my knees and pushed off. My feet came off the ground and soon enough I was in the sky, flying. I smiled at the feeling.

"Good, now everyone huddle over here." I directed the broom over to where he was and stopped in the circle. A few of the people were struggling with getting control of the broom. "Ok, we're going to run a few exercises to see where you belong and go from there. Clear?" Everyone nodded and soon he was directing people to where he thinks they would be good.

When his broom stopped in front of mine I swallowed hard. He glared at me trying to figure out where I should go. "Over there with the seekers." He pointed his head to where only one other person was. Draco. 

I sighed deeply before flying over there, stopping next to him. The seekers were the most important players on the team and that scared me. 

"Fancy seeing you here," I said trying to break the awkward tension that had developed oddly fast. 

"Yeah," He mumbled to himself. I pursed my lips in a line as if that would get rid of any tension left. Didn't work. Finally, Graham broke the silence that had reigned throughout the field. 

"Alright," He clasped his hands together as he balanced on his broom. "I'll come around to each of you and tell you what I expect and what you'll do. Clear?" Suttle nods came from everyone. "Brilliant."

After a while of him talking to every other group, he came over to the two of us. "Ok, last group. The Seekers. I'm going to time each of you as you fly to the end of the field and back. Then I'll set out the snitch and let you two try and catch it. Clear?" We both nodded. "Good. Alright, get ready. I need to set up the beaters and then I'll come back and time you." He flew away to a few to a group that contained Crabbe and Goyle leaving the two of us in awkward silence again. We flew to the end of the field side by side still not saying anything. 

After a while of waiting and me picking my nails, Graham came back over. "Alright. When I count down from three you will go when I say go. Clear." This time when he said clear it was more of a statement than a question. 

I felt Draco turn to face me.

"Ready to lose, Hartwood?" He smirked at me and I scoffed before turning to face the destination. 

"You wish, Malfoy."

"3..."

My breath hitched.

"2..." 

I leaned forward on the broom.

"1..."

My blood rushed to my feet.

"GO!" With those words, I sped off towards the other side of the field. I knew Draco had a better broom than me but I was still going to win even if it killed me. I was ahead of Draco by a few inches but soon we were neck and neck. It stayed that way until I started to slow down.

"Bloody hell," I whispered looking down at the broom. It was still flying fast but not fast enough. "Not today." I encouraged myself, pushing my broom further. The cool air blew throughout my H/C hair. Soon enough, I have tied with him again. And that's when we passed the finish line. 

At the same time. We looked at each other and I smirked. He was obviously shocked that my broom could even tie with his but I was just proud. 

"Very good, both of you!" Graham said coming up behind us. "That was one hell of a fight, Hartwood." He congratulated. I thanked him before he led us to the next and final task. Catch the snitch.

I was already doing a lot better than I thought I would but I was happy about that. He flew down to the ground leading us to do the same. When we touched the ground he opened a silver embellished box. He picked up a small gold ball and the wings flickered out and flapped around in between his fingers. 

"When I let this go, I'm going to count down again then you will chase after it. Clear?" 

"Yeah."

"Good." He let the small golden ball go and let it zig-zag throughout the field. 

"3...2...1..." I got on my broom and got ready to push off again. "GO!" His deep voice echoed throughout the field. I didn't notice it before but the rest of the try out members had paused to watch the Slytherin Prince and the Slytherin Outcast fight for a spot on the team. I ignored it and pretended like they weren't there so I could focus more and more on what I needed to do. 

I squinted my eyes to try and spot the snitch clearer. I found Draco was speeded towards something and that's when I noticed... he was cashing the snitch. I whipped the broom around and chased after it as well. I caught up to Draco and both of us were withing distance where we could reach out and grab it. We each stuck out an arm and slashed the air to grab it.

My hand got closer and closer until I wrapped my hand around it. But I wasn't the only one. Draco had also wrapped his hand around it at the same time. Now both of our hands were overlapping and intertwined, holding onto the snitch.

In any other scenario, I would've let go but I needed a place on this team and I could tell by the look on Draco's face that he wasn't letting go either.

After a few seconds that felt like a miserable hour, Graham came over to see what was going on. 

"What- is that the snitch?!" He exclaimed as he looked in between our hands.

"You think I'm holding her hand for fun, Graham?" Draco snarked at him. I rolled my eyes but laughed a little and I could tell Draco was trying not to laugh when he heard my laugh. 

"Well, you can let go now. I guess you tied again." He took the snitch from our hands and let our hands unlock and fall back to our brooms. "I've never seen anything like that in all my years..." His voice faded out as he talked to himself, flying away.