We Might

"Draco, we can't save each other."

The entire first day of school I was stressing about it all. Draco and I hadn't made a plan yet and haven't even started on the cabinet. I knew it was only the first day of classes but I wanted to get it over with sooner rather than later. Then we could forget about it and move on. 

I sat with my back against the tree and I couldn't feel better. It felt great to be back at the tree. I took out a notepad and started brainstorming of ways Draco and I could finish the task without exactly killing him upfront. 

I scribbled different spells and curses I knew trying to find one that would work perfectly. I must've sat there for two hours just brainstorming and making plans. 

"Thought I might find you here," A voice brought me out of my concentration. "Mind if I join you?" He asked. Without an answer, he sat down next to me. He peered over my shoulder to see what I was writing. "I was thinking the same thing." He told me. And an odd sense of comfort flooded through me at the point that he agreed.

"Oh, thank Merlin. Do you think Borgin and Burkes have anything that could kill? Like some kind of object? If so that could really work." I asked looking at him. His eyes met mine and his eyes started to tear up. Mine did too at what I had just said. 

He placed a hand on my cheek, rubbing his thumb across it wiping away the tears. "I'm so sorry," I leaned into his hand. "Look, I can do it. You don't have to do anything. I can do it." 

"Absolutely not. Are you insane??" I shot at him lifting my head up. "There's no way I'm letting you do this alone. Is it going to hurt? Yeah of course it will but that's why we're doing it together. Draco, we can't save each other from this there's no way. We're working with Voldemort. We either do what he says or we die. It's that simple." I didn't mean for it to come out at harshly as it did and I felt bad for it but I wouldn't take it back. I meant every word. 

"Right." Was all he said. I don't know what I was expecting him to say honestly. "I'll owl Borgin tonight and see what he can send us." I nodded my head at the agreement. 

I was now standing up staring over the lake's water. It was calming to me. I looked back at Draco to see him come up next to me. He wrapped an arm around my waist sending chills throughout me. I rested my head on his shoulder and we both stood in silence. That perfect silence we had managed to create so many times before. 

The two of us might be a little fucked up at times. We might be planning a murder together. We might cry ourselves to sleep at night. We might be two-faces. We might yell at each other at times. But somehow we make this work. And I wouldn't change it for the world.