He Didn't Help Us

"Meet me at the top of the stairs in ten seconds."

"Shh," I whispered to Draco as we stood around the corner by the dungeon stairs. Hermione's cries still echoed the halls and I had had enough. So had Draco. We decided to make a plan to get everyone out of there. Draco sent a message to Dobby, his old house-elf, and told him Harry needed help. Draco and Dobby were close growing up before his father because stricter. 

We were waiting for Dobby to apparate inside so we could get them out. Wormtail had already taken a goblin out of there. I didn't know who else could be in there. 

Then I heard the slight whoosh of air. 

"He's in," Draco whispered and I nodded. We just needed one more signal. 

The slight conversation could be heard but not the words Dobby was supposed to say. Then he said it. "Meet me at the top of the stairs in ten seconds." I shouldn't have been scared but the sudden burst of bravery I had moments ago seemed to disappear. 

I counted in my head. 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. I had stepped my foot out so I could bolt towards the door but Draco grabbed the back of my shirt and pulled me back into the wall we were leaning against. Wormtails frame came running down the stairs. The weird noises he makes were audible. 

Slowly, I pulled out my wand. Draco's hand fell from my shirt as I stepped to the top of the stairs. I flicked my wrist right as he opened the door making him fall in, face first.

"Owww." He said. I almost laughed but kept it together. Dobby apparated right as I did so as well, taking Wormtails wand. Joined by him and Draco we stood at the top of the stairs waiting for Harry and Ron.

We saw them walk out from the bottom of the stairs, the dark eerie glow made them look like shadows. "Who gets his wand?" Dobby said as he examined the Death Eaters wand. They looked behind them then back to us, confusion evident in their shadowed features. 

They rushed up the stairs to meet us and when they did Harry pulled me into a tight hug. My hands hung loosely at my side a little weirded out. "Thank you." He said, pulling back.

"Yeah," I said blandly. "We have to go. If we get caught here... we're done for." They understood and Dobby took them around the backway. Draco and I went left, towards where his parents were. Where Hermione was being held.

------

"Where were you?" Lucius hissed as Draco and I came up the stairs. 

Draco clenched his jaw. "We went to get some water and take a break." He lied. I nodded in agreement. 

Lucius rolled his eyes but didn't argue. He seemed to have gotten his ego knocked down a few steps. Finally. 

"Oh, well, then. Perhaps it just walked out on its own, then." Bellatrix yelled. She had been yelling at the goblin for minutes now. Every time she opened her mouth guilt rushed over me. If we had been moments earlier, we could've saved him too. 

"There is no place safer than Gringotts."

"Liar! Consider yourself lucky, goblin." She cut his face then spat at him before walking away. I didn't want to just sit here and watch these people get hurt but I didn't have a choice. I didn't want to die either. "The same won't be said for this one," Bellatrix said walking towards Hermione who had mudblood etched into her forearm, blood dripping from it. 

"Like hell!" A voice said from the stairway. Ron. He rushed out, followed quickly by Harry, throwing spells and curses at anyone and everyone. Draco and I looked at each other, eyes wide, knowing what we would have to do. Fight them. 

We stood side by side and instead of fighting back we just blocked. 

"STOP," Bellatrix yelled. Everyone stilled, the spells ceased. "Drop your wand." I looked behind me and Bellatrix had Hermione. She held a wand to her neck threatening to kill her. "I said, DROP EM!"

A look of defeat flushed through wand as he let go of his wand letting it clatter to the ground. Harry did as well.

"Pick them up, Draco, Y/N, now!" She whispered to us. I picked up Rons, Draco picked up Harry's. "Well, well, well. Look what we have here."Bellatrix taunted. Hermione gasped in pain and by this point, I was holding back tears. "It's Harry Potter. He's all bright and shiny and new again, just in time for the Dark Lord." 

I looked over to Draco and his light grey eyes met mine. We were both done. We both just wanted to leave. 

"Call him," Bellatrix said. "Call him!" She repeated louder as she looked over to Draco. Fear flooded through him as he looked to someone, anyone, for help. His dad, for once in his pathetic life, stepped forward for his son. He lifted up his black sleeve revealing the dark mark on his pale skin. 

Right as he was about to press down a squeaking came from above Hermione and Bellatrix. My eyes trailed up and Dobby was on the chandelier, unscrewing it. I weak smile spread across my lips as it came crashing down. Hermione ran as the fixture fell on top of the Death Eater, crushing her. Dobby ran to Harry and Harry ran to Draco and I?

I thought he was going to help us... but he yanked Draco's wand out of his hand. He reached for mine but I yanked it, and Draco away. 

"Stupefy," Harry yelled, switching his focus to Lucius. Draco and I sat against a wall, knees to our chests. 

"STUPID ELF. YOU COULD'VE KILLED ME." Bellatrix yelled. 

"Dobb never meant to kill!" The elf shot back at her as he stood proudly by his group. Anger rushed through me. "Dobby only meant to maim or... seriously injure." Dobby flew his hand around pulling Narcissa's wand out of her hand.

"How dare you take a witch's wand?! How dare you defy your masters!" Bellatrix retorted at him. I placed my head in my knee fighting back the urge to scream at Harry and Ron. 

'WE HELPED YOU!' I would say. 'WE HELPED YOU GET OUT AND THIS IS WHAT WE GET IN RETURN?' 

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter." I wanted him to be a dead elf. "And his friends!" I didn't know who I could trust. We thought we could trust Dobby. No. We helped Harry. He didn't care. 

He grabbed everyone's hand and right as they were about to separate Bellatrix threw a dagger. But it got caught up in the spell. Apparating with them. 

After they apparated the room fell into a tense silence. Draco's body shook and I rubbed his arm to help him calm down but it wasn't working. Bellatrix fumed, Narccisa was pissed. 

Harry Potter didn't save us. Harry Potter isn't a savior.